Skip to content
Need Help
Getreadygo posted:
I recently began my journey of weight lose and life style changes in June 2010. So far I have lost 25 pounds. My goal is not to consume more than 1300 calories per day. I exercise 4 sometimes 5 times a week. I exercise for about 50 minutes at work for 1 hour (Eliptical, treadmill and leg lifts) Monday- Thursday and on Monday-Thursday I take Water aerobics (Shallow and Deep Water) for an hour. I take Zumba classes on Wednesday and Thursday for an hour. On (some) Saturday mornings I do a two mile walk. My physician told me that I am not getting enough protein in my daily food plan. I was afraid to change from the plan that I started out with because I felt that I would not lose the weight. Well I added a little more protein and in the past 3 weeks I have only lost 1.5 pounds. My goal when I started out was to lose 65 pounds. I must say that I do enjoy exercising but my biggest problem is planning the meals. I have a daily meal plan that consist of fresh fruit, no bread, no visible carbs (potatoes,rice) and salads, chicken and seafood (Broiled). I had to change my mind frame when I began from eating just because to eating when I am hungry only. I don't really like the snacking during the day. I have begun to eat breakfast, fruit for lunch and maybe a little something at dinner if I am hungry. (Which I am usually not) So my questions are should I increase the intensity of my workouts? Which is more important when working out the amount of time you workout or the calories burned? With a 1300 calorie meal plan and the amount of exercise I am currently doing should I be losing more weight or am I on target for what I am doing? Sorry this is so long. Help!!!!

Take the Poll

Should the intensity of my workouts increase?Which is more important when working out the amount of time you workout or the calories burned?With a 1300 calorie plan and the amount of exercise I am doing should I be losing more weight or am I on target for what I am doing?
vote
View Poll Results

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
First, I have to caution against the getting rid of all visible carbs. Any time you wipe out a an entire food group--you lose important macro and micro nutrients.

How old are you? How tall are you? How much do you weigh?

What kind of strength training are you doing? I am wondering with all that cardio if the problem isn't related to your metabolism slowing because of muscle loss and not eating dinner.

Losing 1-2 lbs per week is the optimal amount of weight loss for sustaining it. I really wouldn't worry about a little bit of a slow down. Make sure that when you added protein that the servings and sodium levels didn't increase too much.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.