Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Best exercise for someone with trochanteric hip bursitis
Ahimsa12 posted:
I have chronic trochanteric hip bursitis, and must avoid running and stair-climbing. I can walk during the times when it calms down, but sometimes it flares up again. Would using ellipticals be bad for me? I do use an exercise bike, but sometimes use ellipticals for a few minutes. However, I wonder if using the ellipticals (5-6 minutes) caused my most resent flare-up? And is biking too hard -- raising the resistance, going too fast -- also causing a problem. I would swim, but am a very slow swimmer, and also have Raynaud's disease. so my hands turn white in the water. Desperate for exercise -- what can or should I do?
Ahimsa12

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Typically the prescription for bursitis is to rest the affected joint, ice, and sometimes the doctor will prescribe medication. Any exercise that uses the hip and causes pain should be avoided. You'll have to experiment with what works for you. You also ought to speak with your physician about managing this problem. Swimming would be helpful and so you ought to speak with the doctor managing the Raynaud's and see what medication or other treatment can help you. You can also try wet suit mitts to keep your hands warm while swimming Here's an example http://www.tactics.com/xcel/7mm-infiniti-drylock-wetsuit-mitts?src=gglb

You could also do upper body work with resistance exercise until your hip gets better. All the upper body exercises would be fine since they do not involve the hip.

You can also check out the Sports Medicine Community at http://exchanges.webmd.com/sports-medicine-exchange

Good luck with it.

Ahimsa12 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Dear Dr. Rich Weil,
Thank you so much!!!! I had no idea that these kinds of wetsuit mitts or gloves only even existed. This will make it possible for me to exercise in the pool. I am so grateful to you.
If you would, could you please also tell me if using the exercise bike would harm my trochanteric hip bursitis, even if I feel no pain while using the bike? And can I assume the using the elliptical, even if no pain, would be even worse for this condition?
If what I call my "haunch" are is sore climbing stairs -- is that another symptom of bursitis? I will be seeing the doctor next week, and will ask all these questions, but you might be more of a doctor who deals with patients who bike and climb, etc., than my very nice but quite rotund physician.
Again, many thanks,
ahimsa12

An_198529 responded:
Have you had physical therapy for your hip yet? I had trochanteric bursitis and my doctor injected it which felt good for a few days. But the pain returned, so I asked to go to therapy.
I had a great therapist who evaluated me from the feet up, and treated my SI joint which turned out to be the cause. Correcting my SI joint and strengthening my glutes did the trick for me. I still stay away from wearing high heels. Good luck.

Ahimsa12 replied to An_198529's response:
Dear Anon_16178
What is the SI joint? I don't know what that is. What exercises do you do for that. Do they have a name? Can I look them up online? And what exercises do you do for the glutes? I have a physical therapist, who thinks the problem stems from my back. I am going to have a cortisone shot on Monday, but I know they don't last long. I have to go on a trip for some work I do, and it requires a lot of walking around a city. I'm very worried.
Thanks for offering suggestions. (And I only wear flat heels.)
Ahimsa12

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Ahimsa12's response:
Hi Ahimsa,

I don't know if the bike will irritate it. To find out do a light workout and if it's sore the next day then you know it was the bike. You use that joint on the bike so there is a chance it might affect it. If you mean the buttocks for haunch, then it might or might not be bursitis. The buttocks work for climbing stairs so they may just be sore from that. Hip bursitis usually is over the hip and does not typically radiate to the buttocks, but you may be compensating and walking different than normal, putting more stress on the buttocks on the stairs, and that might explain the sorenss too.

Good luck with the doctor. Rich

An_198530 replied to Ahimsa12's response:
It sounds like your physical therapist and mine have the same idea, but I know that your hip isn't necessarily like mine. The SI joint is the sacroiliac joint which is the low part of the back where the dimples are.

I certainly can't tell you what is good for your hip. But since you are seeing a physical therapist, ask if DonTigny's exercises will help you, which is what my therapist taught me. Yes, amazingly the exercises are online http://thelowback.com/fix.htm However, if you check that site you will see that your therapist needs to line you up first.

Squats, lunges, bridges, etc. strengthen the glutes. Now that my hip is normal, I do Callanetics
http://www.HowToGetBackInShape.com/Callanetics.html which use short muscle contractions at the end of the range, and lots of stretching which is really making my hips and buttock muscles feel stronger and balanced. (But I wouldn't suggest those until your therapist says ok.)

Hope this helps. Good luck.

gingersnapped50 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Hi Dr. My hip bursitis is so bad i can't sleep. I have it in both hips. I have an injured back also so it hurts to do some of the exercises. I want to get my bursa's removed. It has been about a year now. My hip doctor does seem to do this. I want to so bad because i have so much other pain to deal with. I have had the shots, little therapy. What do you think. I would appreciate your help. I would love to be able to lay down again.
thanks in advance
ginger gingersnapped50@gmail.com

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to gingersnapped50's response:
Hi Ginger,

Here's an excellent article on hip bursitis. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00409 I am not an expert on this condition, so cannot anser your surgery questions. I know only one person who has had bursa removed, and they had a good outcome. But I don't know what outcome you will get. I suggest that you ask your doctor, and perhaps get a second opinion as well. You didn't mention if you have had cortisone injections, but you can ask your doctor about that too. I'd like to be able to give you more information about the surgery, but I just don't know enough about it. I hope you are able to take care of this. Good luck with it, and I hope you feel better. Rich

Refaat1 responded:
sorry yo hear about your pain.

trochanteric hip bursitis, is inflammation of the trochanteric bursa , a part of the hip.
This bursa is situated adjacent to the femur, between the insertion of the gluteus medius and gluteus minimus muscles into the greater trochanter of the femur and the femoral shaft. It has the function, in common with other bursae, of working as a shock absorber and as a lubricant for the movement of the muscles adjacent to it.

Our medical team use "Stem cell therapy" to relieve pain and end the bursitis finally.

Stem cell therapy is a new method of treatment which depend upon regenerative medicine.

For more information contact us at

http://www.stem.md/

Ahimsa12 replied to Refaat1's response:
For trochanteric hip bursitis (which is really caused by a very tight IT or ilio-tibial band), do these two exercises: the Ober's Stretch (you can find youtube or online video demonstrations of this), plus side leg lifts. One of those strengthens the abductor muscles, and the other strengthens the adductor muscles. There are other side bends, but I found these two, done in combination -- do the first, then the second -- to be the most effective. This condition can very easily become chronic, and then you can only manage it. (Mine is chronic.) It is not really curable, and surgery is not recommended. Cortisone shots help for 5 weeks, but then wear off and the condition completely returns. You can have only three cortisone shots a year. Good luck!
Ahimsa

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Find a coach
Can you find a friend to encourage you? Or better yet a personal trainer that can help you identify a routine that fits your schedule and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.