Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
natural exercices for resistance training
kalamantina posted:
Hi everyone,
I was thinking in case I travel, or go somewhere where I absolutely have no access to a gym, nor any small equipment ( rubber bands, ropes), what exercies can I perform for different muscle groups?
I came up with some chest ( pushups, elevated pushups, dips ), legs ( squats with a broom stick ) and other cardio effects. dips, situps and ab crunches. however nothing for upper and lower back ( as in nothing that is natural, no rope or a contraption attached to the top of a door frame ) .
What do you guys recommend? I would love to have a list setup for me in case I am away from the gym, and I really don't wanna buy any minor attachment to add to my luggage, I believe in au natural.

Thanks.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Hi kalamantina,

You've got some good exercises, and if you search online for "calisthenics" you'll find pictures and videos. I recommend exercise tubing too. They pack in anything and there's no place I can imagine where you couldn't carry them. You can start with a set of four for about $25, and once you know which ones you use most you can carry just one or two with you when you travel. They come in colors to denote the tension. Make sure to order the strap that allows you to attach the tube to a door and then you'll be able to do dozens of exercises, and if you want to work your legs, ask for leg straps. Here are some vendors that sell them.

www.performbetter.com/catalog/default.asp

www.power-systems.com

Here's a site with great videos http://www.body-mind-strength.com/resistance_tube_exercises/resistance_tube_exercises.html

A jump rope is good, and you can also look for an out-of-date book called the Royal Canadian Air Force Exercises. It's all calisthenics. Some exercises are a little risky (the book is from the 1960's), but if you're sensible you'll be able to leave out the ones that might not feel good to you.

Take care,
Rich

kalamantina replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Hi rich,
thanks for th reply.
I am actually trying to do the opposite of getting any ropes or contraptions, as in pure calisthenics, and minimalism.
My hope is to compile a list of exercies that I can perform only with my body, no other devices, ropes, or straps.
I am trying to make this so that I can travel light, no extra weight ( irrelevant how small it is ) but just being able to use my natural body weight to do this.
I am glad you like the exercises I mentioned earlier. I am kind of stuck finding exercies for the following muscle groups:back( lats, lower back ), and legs.
Any suggestions?

I will check out the canadian book too.

Thanks.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to kalamantina's response:
Hi kalamantina,

You can do lunges and stair climbing for your legs. No external resistance, just your own body weight. If you have someone to hold you by the legs, you can do back extension by lying on your belly with your torso off the bed and lift your back up. You can also just do this lying on the floor, then you won't need anyone to hold you. For lats you can lie down on the floor, bring your arms up in front you, elbows on the floor, and press down trying to lift your torso off the floor. That will work lats. You can also do chair dips, they will work your lats a little. That should get you started. Good luck. Rich

musclzen responded:
For your back you can do pull-ups over the back of a door by placing a towel on top of the door for cushion and wedging something by the door hinge to keep it open. You can also wrap a towel around a door handle/knob and close the door with the ends of the towel on the opposite side on the door as the side you wrapped the towel around the door knob allowing you to do bodyweight rows with you feet against the base of the door or inverted rows with your head next to the door as your feet are kicked out body fully extended away from the door. This setup can also work for biceps as you can curl do curls pull you body into the door as you lean away from the door while facing it.

For shoulders you can do handstand push-ups.

Hope these help.

Laricsports replied to kalamantina's response:
If You are looking for high quality skipping ropes please visit www.laric-sports.com

Alfredo8100 responded:
Diving creates your muscle tissue less than other cardio, because water boundaries how much you can move your muscle tissue, but it does give you an opportunity to work out your human body, such as your hands, back and feet. In addition, swimming is an excellent work out for helping the versatility and function of your muscle tissue and the water "protects members from muscle and bone fragments problems,"

Alfredo8100 replied to Alfredo8100's response:
Diving creates your muscle tissue less than other cardio, because water boundaries how much you can move your muscle tissue, but it does give you an opportunity to work out your human body, such as your hands, back and feet. In addition, swimming is an excellent work out for helping the versatility and function of your muscle tissue and the water "protects members from muscle and bone fragments problems,"
pool liners

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.