Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Can working out too much while sore hurt your body?
An_198552 posted:
I just want to know if its healthy or dangerous to work out too much while your body is sore.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Soreness typically means your body has been through a tough workout with microtears to the muscle and is in the process of healing and recovering. If you go through another tough workout during this time then you are breaking down the muscles again, not allowing them to heal and grow. If you do it once it might not be a problem, but if you continue, then you will slow down healing. You won't do permanent damage, but you will certainly slow down healing. The general rule when you are sore is that if after your warm up the soreness resolves and you can perform at 100% during the workout then it's okay to continue. But if the soreness gets worse and your performance is diminished then you probably ought to rest. Your body recovers during downtime, not while you are working out.

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
That's a very easy to remember formula and makes perfect sense, Rich.

I sort of remember hearing after my Iron Girl 5k that there was some formula they used to figure about how long you'd need to recover. Can't remember exactly, but thinking it was something like 1 day for every mile you walked/ran.

That doesn't sound right though. Have you ever heard anything like that?

Allison12345 responded:
This is a tricky one, though because there are times when you want to push yourself when you're tired. But, if it seems like true soreness, then I would wait a day or do exercise that is nonstressful, like swimming.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Andie_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hey Andie,

No, I don't know of any formula, and recovery varies by so much I can't think of any way to do it. Listen to your body. That makes the most sense and will be most reliable. Rich

An_252203 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Rich,

A solution would be to workout a group of muscles one day and the other group of muscle the next day (e.g., pulling exercises one day and pushing exercises the next day). Normally, it takes 4 to 5 days for the muscles to recover. Also, is very important to eat quality food to get the right nutrients that help rebuild the muscles after training. especially after workout. Rest is another factor too.

Richardat responded:
Rich
If you workout too much your muscles will get smaller instead of bigger.That applies regardless of your age. So, there's no sense in working out to the point where you get sore muscles.
I am 73 and have been working out for decades, so I speak from first hand experience.
I try to do a full body workout, more or less.
Since I have a bad back I avoid barbells and only workout with dumbbells. This allows me to concentrate on particular muscles in order to avoid stressing my back.
I recommend listening to your body and when it`s sore it is telling you to take it easy.
Richardat

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

don't know what to do
Well i guess i should start with my stats. I'm a four foot nine, female with about 5-15 lb to lose and toning. I'm ex military so i ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.