Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
What are the best exercise machines?
Joeywalter posted:
I have a treadmill, and it is ok, but I think that I would prefer an elliptical. I have very overweight and have trouble with one knee - especially when using the treadmill. My wife wants an exercise bike, but I think that an elliptical would be a better exercise option. I also have a Bowflex, so we are not worried about building muscle, we need a machine simply for significant weight loss.
Thanks.

jkbond responded:
My vote would be for a rowing machine. Not only does it give you the aerobic benefits but helps you to train most of the major muscle groups and helps in keeping the joints flexible.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
An elliptical may work nicely if you have a bad knee, but if possible, you ought to go to a store where you can try them out. A recumbent bike is also a good choice for your knee. Again, see if you can try one out. You don't say what's wrong with your knee, but sometimes quad stretches can help. Also, I recommend straight leg raises. To do them lie on the floor on your back, one knee bent, the other straight, hands palm down under the buttocks to support the low back. Contract the quadriceps on the straight leg, then raise leg to the height of the other knee. Pause 1-2 second at the top, then lower leg but do not allow it to touch the floor. Repeat 10-15 reps, 3 sets. You can use ankle weights if these are very easy. Start with one pound and work up. You should always be able to do 10-15 reps.

I hope that helps.
Rich

Joeywalter replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thanks for your help. I think the knee is simply due to being overweight for so long.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Joeywalter's response:
You're welcome. The knee exercises may still help despite the weight. They may be worth a try. Take care. Rich

utahlady replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
I just bought a resistance tube system made by Gold's Gym to start as soon as my thumb heals from surgery. Walking is just not possible right now - too much icy snow on roads at my house in the boondocks. I thought this might be a help for indoor exercise and I can't afford equipment. Do you have any tips?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to utahlady's response:
Here's a site with great videos http://www.body-mind-strength.com/resistance_tube_exercises/resistance_tube_exercises.html

joabbott123 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
You didn't say what the BEST machine is for significant weight loss. I would like to buy a machine for in my home, but don't know which one is the best. I need to lose about 50-70 pounds.

An_198557 replied to joabbott123's response:
i'm not an expert but i think the "best" machine is one you're going to use. Regardless of what $ you spend, if you don't use the equipment then it isn't going to help. I agree with the idea of trying out some equipment to see what you would enjoy using daily. Some gyms allow a free day to view the facility & try out their services and that may also allow you to try some of their equipment & get an idea of what you would like to use on a regular basis. I believe some stores let you try equipment they have..? If you have health issues, that may require additional consideration. Does the equipment need to address multiple needs? One thing i have is a pilates reformer (home version) because i need to be able to do stretching routines as well. I paid for some private lessons to try that and make sure i could use the equipment before investing in a machine i could use at home. I believe you have to find what is going to work for you. Good luck with your goal!

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 63 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.