Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
machines to use after partial left knee replacement
Growingold55 posted:
What is the best machines for weight loss. I need to lose 50 lbs. My surgery is 6 weeks old, still in therapy 3 days a week. I have a Bowflex treadclimber, a Schwinn Bike and a Bowflex revolution machine. What is your recommendations?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
There is no optimal weight loss machine. They all burn calories and you can always burn more on one than the other depending on how hard you work. A bike and tredclimber are fine for cardio, and the Bowflex is fine for resistance exrecise. If you want to really make a dent in your weight you need to cut back on calories so that you burn more than you consume. Exercise alone won't do it, you need to focus on food. Visit the diet clubs here at WebMDhttp://forums.webmd.com/3/fitness-and-exercise-exchange/tip/4

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
I just read your title. If your knee hurts on the climber then the bike might be best. Don't work through pain and if you're not healing properly then you may need more PT.

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Growingold,

Welcome to the Fitness community and thanks for your question. Kudos to you on your determination to lose weight and quest to speed recovery!

While you are eager to lose weight, we must also factor in your recent knee replacement surgery and the time it takes to recover fully. What exercises does your doctor or therapist have you doing now?

This doesn't answer your direct question on which machine is best, but I'd still like to offer you a few resources to get you started:

I'd also encourage you to participate on our Knee & Hip Replacement Community . The community might have some experience with the machines you mentioned and be able to offer support. It would also be great if you might share some of your wisdom with the community, since you're already in recovery.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on how you're doing.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 64 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.