Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
April 1st - National Walk to Work Day
Andie_WebMD_Staff posted:
In the US, the first Friday in April is National Walk to Work Day, a day where everyone is encouraged to walk for all or part of your commute to work.

Why Walk?

According to this WebMD article, Walking For Wellness , there are several reasons why:

• Walking is one of the easiest ways to get the exercise you need to stay healthy.
  • Walking and other aerobic exercise also can improve your mood and energy.
  • Walking also keeps your bones healthy. It is a weight-bearing activity, which means that it works the muscles and bones against gravity.

Do you take public transportation? Why not walk to a further stop before boarding, or getting off a stop early and walking the rest of the distance to work?

If your commute is too long, make it a Walk to Lunch Day. Invite your co-workers to join with you for Walk to Work Day, or join you in a Walk to Lunch.

Do you plan on participating in Walk to Work Day? Do you think this is a good way to encourage more people to exercise? If not, what would you do?

busyveganlady; responded:
Now that the weather is getting warmer, I'm more motivated to get off a stop or two early and walk a bit farther on my way to work. I can't wait to enjoy early morning walks with pleasant weather!

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to busyveganlady;'s response:
I'm with you, BusyVeganLady! Love this time of year and taking advantage of the perfect weather for outdoor walks. :)

Congrats on you participation in the challenge to walk to work! Getting off the bus a couple stops early is a great way to do it. Think of how energized you'll be when you get there!

Anyone else planning on challenging themselves to walk to work?

If it's just not possible, how about just challenging yourself to walk your parking lot on your lunch hour, or walking your block when you get home?

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to Andie_WebMD_Staff's response:
Did anyone else participate and walk to work today?

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Ab ExercisesExpert
As mentioned in the Losing Belly Fat post, you cannot spot reduce, but you can tighten muscles under excess fat. As a result you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 54 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.