Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Couch to 5K
jujulang posted:
I'm 53 years old, female, never stuck to a regular exercise program ever and am wondering if I could do this program? I have no real health issues. I'd like to lose 20 lbs. I'm an ex smoker, just passed my 5th anniversary in March.
I have a full time job so I'm not a total couch potato, but I do have a desk job.
What do you think?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
A specific plan with a clear goal at the end could really work if you have difficulty sticking with regular exercise. Without knowing you, if you do have 20 pounds to lose, you need to consider your weight since every time you hit the ground while running you hit with 3 to 4 times your body weight. So you need to go slowly and pay attention to you body. Don't work through pain. Good luck.

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Jujulang,

Welcome to the Fitness & Exercise community! I've "sort of" tried the C25k program, but when I did, I was so heavy that it just wasn't feasible for me at the time.

Like Rich said, just remember that running put more pressure on your joints and listen to your body. I have only been a walker and the 3-4 miles I walk 3x a week has contributed to a big weight loss for me.

If you still want to be a runner, but you're not quite ready to move at their set pace, maybe you can just stick with the week one run/walk timing until you feel ready to go to week two's more strenuous pace. And then do that with each week?

It may take longer to get to the full 5k run, but it's about getting healthy, not winning a 5k race, right?

Please be sure to check with your doctor before beginning any new exercise program for you own safety (and peace of mind).

I hope someone else from the community will chime in with their C25k experience, too. Good luck, and keep us posted on how you're doing!!

We're here to help!

~Andie

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

8 habits of successful dieters
8 habits of successful dieters More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.