Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Is a bad thing to exercise when you have a bad cold...??
cindigal posted:
I have a loft apt with high ceilings and it gets stifling when the temps go over 80. I don't want to turn on the AC just now. I have 2 ceiling fans, one in the front room and my bedroom. That does not help....I have an other floor fan, and small window fan that travels with me wherever I go through the apt.

I put the floor fan next to me when I was sleeping the other day cause I couldnt sleep. I got a terrible cold (I am guessing that was the problem). I have been blowing my nose, sneezing for 3 days. I live alone and dont drive, I just moved here and dont really have friends that I can call. My family is scattered around different areas. My son is close but they just suffered a loss with a miscarriage (that poor girl).

My son takes me grocery shopping every 2 weeks and I do go to my 6 month appt to the doc and he brings me there but I cant not ask with all they went through. May be this cold will ride itself. I take faithfully vitamins every day. I take B-complex and Vitamin C (1000 mg) a day. I started those even before I got the cold. Also, I make smoothies with strawberries and bananas and whatever fruit I have.

The big question is should I curtail the exercise while I have this cold. All day I am either blowing my nose or peeing because I drink ice tea or the Vitamin C .

cindigal

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Here are some general guidelines for exercise when you're sick (always check with your doctor first if you have any questions or doubts about whether it's safe for you to exercise). If your symptoms are located above the neck: a stuffy or runny nose, or sneezing, then exercise is probably safe. Start slowly, and if you feel better after 10 minutes, continue, if you feel worse, stop. If you have below-the-neck symptoms, e.g., muscle aches, hacking cough, fever of 100 degrees or higher, chills, diarrhea, or vomiting you should avoid exercise. Exercising when you have these symptoms may raise your temperature, dehydrate you, and weaken you further. A sore throat could go either way, and you need to see how your energy and strength level is. Most of the time a sore throat makes it more difficult. Whatever your symptoms are, if you're feeling really weak, it's better not to exercise because when your body is fighting an infection because you could suffer a set back, plus your performance would be greatly diminished anyway and you probably wouldn't get very much out of the workout. Feel better.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Losing Weight Ladies
Hi there! Just a quick tip for all the ladies trying to lose weight out there. Cardio is great, but if you do only cardio (running, ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.