Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Question about Fitness Log
AusTexas posted:
I am logging my calorie intake and exercise on the WebMD site and it seems as users are supposed to record every activity, even sleeping and working at a desk. Please advise, as I can't imagine how to get up to the 1,100 calories I'm supposed to burn daily otherwise.

Thanks very much.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
I'm not exactly sure I understand your question, but here's some information that might help. Think in terms of the number of calories you burn in 24 hours: 24 hour energy expenditure (24-hr EE)

You have a basal metabolic rate which is the number of calories you burn if you rested all day. It could roughly be 1300 to 2000 calories, although it can be higher or lower. Then add about 10 percent for dietary thermogenesis which is the number of calories that it takes to digest and store your food. And then physical activity. So if you exercise and burn 500 calories, and then burn another 500 calories with the other activities of daily living (climbing stairs, walking, cooking, etc.)

So adding this up and say your BMR is 1500, then add 10 percent of that, and then another 1000 for daily activities and a formal workout and you have burned 2650 calories in one day. As you might imagine, it's difficult to estimate physical activity accurately. And that's one of the reasons why people don't lose weight when they do this math, because people tend to overestimate their physical activity calorie expenditure (and underestimate calorie intake).

Finally, if your 24-hr EE is 2650, and you consume 2150 calories, then you would lose one pound a week (500 calorie deficit each day time 7 days). But again, calorie expenditure is difficult to estimate accurately.

I hope that helps. Rich

AusTexas replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thanks Rich, I was referring to the use of the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner tool.

I'm not sure if this is the right venue to ask questions about that, I couldn't find any links for support. It's pretty frustrating to log in all the info and it doesn't seem to synch up with itself. (the daily summary does not reflect the daily food log, etc).

Makes one want to just pop open the bottle of wine and forget it already.

Just kidding, and I do appreciate the info on calorie usage. I am trying to accurately reflect my intake and outtake, but the WebMD tool is not clear on what we should input as far as just regular daily activity. If you have any knowledge about the site, or know where to direct me, it would be much appreciated.

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to AusTexas's response:
Hi AusTexas,

I'm filling in for your regular Moderator, Amelia, the rest of this week while she is away. I'm sorry to hear that the Food & Fitness Planner is not as clear as it could be about your BMR.

I am not sure if the tool calculates using your BMR and you would therefore not need to calculate in your every breathing moment. I believe it already takes sleep & such into account.

However, I have left a note for Amelia and I am sure she will be able to clear up the mystery as soon as Monday. I apologize that I can't give you a definitive answer right now, but I want to make sure we're providing accurate information.

Food journaling is a great way to lose weight and knowing how many calories you need to burn is a big help! I hope you will check back next week for a new reply. Thanks for your patience!

~Andie

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to AusTexas's response:
Hi again AusTex,

I went through the planner myself. You should be able to accumulate 1100 calories a day. Just sleeping along burns calories (that's called sleeping metabolic rate, which is less than resting metabolic rate (which is when you are awake). Then do all the other activities you do all day. As it says, everything adds up (even if you left out formal exercise you should be able to get it if you move around during the day -and if you have a desk job get up and walk around every hour or so - even do some stretching and pushups). You might be interested to know that just 100 calories a day is equal to 11 pounds a year! I suggest you get a pedometer to measure your daily steps. A 150- pound person burns 100 calories a mile and a 200-pound person burns 133 calories a mile. Mostpeople take anywhere between 1900 to 2500 steps per mile. To know for sure, set your pedometer to zero and walk a measured mile or half-mile (and multiply by 2). You can see that every really does add up and then 1100 calories isn't unrealistic at all. Interestingly, some data show that some American adults burn only 300 calories a day in all activities of physical activity. That's a sedentrary person!

So go ahead and calculate all your calories and see where your calories are. I hope that clears it up.

Rich

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Sorry, missed a word in the second to last sentence. I meant to say that every "activity" really does add up.

brunosbud replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Very informative. Great post!

There is so much to learn for those interested in weight loss, Rich. Human metabolism and its energy demands are quite complex. Unfortunately, the vast majority have little ability to comprehend what you've just detailed, above. They just don't see the need...

Restoring health and vigor is something everybody can do...

But, you have to be a student of the game.

AusTexas replied to brunosbud's response:
I disagree, I love knowing all the details. It's fascinating and helps keep me motivated.

Please don't underestimate the "vast majority."

AusTexas replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thank you, I really appreciate the detail.

AusTexas replied to Andie_WebMD_Staff's response:
I have seen other people post in recent weeks that the Food & Fitness Planner does not accurately add up the daily calories and so the daily/weekly summary is distorted.

I have found that to be the case as well.

I am going to find another site to food journal, as I agree that it is a great resource in losing weight, but I don't have time to get my calculator out and try and figure out what is missing and although it has been an issue for months it has yet to be fixed on this site.

It's really too bad, I liked much of the functionality of the site in general.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to AusTexas's response:
You're welcome guys. Glad I could help. You know, I just tried the calorie counter and it worked for me. It added up the daily calories accurately. I didn't do the weekely summary yet so I can't say whether it was accurate or not. Just thought I'd let you know and maybe you could try one more time. I am curious by how much you find it to be off by. I'm going to use it every day and see.

Anyway, good luck with your training, and have a good weekend.

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thank you for helping us clear things up, Rich! I have not forgotten how awesome you are!!

Andie

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to AusTexas's response:
I'm sorry that the Food & Fitness Planner is not working as hoped.

I have used other sites like SparkPeople or MyFitnessPal to journal food and exercise. You might give those a try.

In the meantime, we'll keep forwarding everyone's feedback to our Developers to let them know how best to improve.

Thanks again for all the input and sorry it didn't work out

~Andie

blafoo replied to Andie_WebMD_Staff's response:
The problem in the food planner occurs when the serving sizes are modified. Say I add a banana to my breakfast. Then, the summary view reflects that. But if I click on the 1 in the banana entry and bump it up to 2 bananas, then the summary view doesn't reflect that change. Likewise for reducing the number of calories.

This is particularly annoying when using the most frequently used foods list with drag & drop, because then the servings size can only be adjusted after adding the entry, and thus the summary view will always be wrong.

I think it's really important to fix this, please prioritize it! It's the main usability problem I have seen with the site. BTW, the fitness planner does not have a problem with updates of the duration, it works fine. So I know you can do this!

Thanks!

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Losing Weight Ladies
Hi there! Just a quick tip for all the ladies trying to lose weight out there. Cardio is great, but if you do only cardio (running, ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.