Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Beginning to run
Anon_227539 posted:
This may be a silly question but here goes...what does beginning running look like? I have been walking 3 miles every morning and can tell I need to boost my work out. I have been running short intervals now between the walking but I am unsure exactly what the running should look like. Long strides, up and down movement, arm swinging, breathing, all that.
I am in good shape physically but have never run. Any help is appreciated.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Here's a very good article on running form http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267-268-8210-0,00.html

Just keep in mind that anatomy varies for people and may cause slight differences in the recommended running form. Nothing is etched in stone. An example is Bill Rodgers who swung his elbows wide and away from his torso, yet he was world class. You also may need to experiment with your foot strike. Some people land on the middle of the foot and some toward the front. Heavy runners (not necessarily heavy people) hit with the heel first and that gives the impression of landing heavy. You'll need to experiment.

Read the article, then let your body self select your form, then you can experiment with the suggestions in the article.

You may also be interested in the couch to 5K program at www.coolrunning.com

Enjoy

JaniceECox replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Very informative article-thanks!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to JaniceECox's response:
You're welcome.

mommaxeli responded:
I was also going to suggest the Couch to 5K program. It's a 9 week program that works you up to running a 5K (or 30 minutes at a time). It's a great program! I'm on Week 6 right now. I've had to repeat a couple weeks because I couldn't quite complete them. But...the first week I couldn't even run one minute at a time and now several weeks later, I'm running 25 mintues at a time! It works :)

hornlaw responded:
I'm really glad you asked that question...we are in very much the same boat. Good luck to us both!

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
How are things going so far, Anon? Are you getting more comfortable and settled with your new routine?

I wanted to share this WebMD article on How to Start Running with you for some great pointers on eating, beginning with a walk-run ratio and techniques for breathing. Another thing to consider is finding the proper shoes ! :)

Have fun and keep us posted!
Amelia

peaksis replied to mommaxeli's response:
where do I find out about this "couch to 5K"?

mommaxeli replied to peaksis's response:
Check out this site for info and the plan outline. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

If you have a smart phone, there are lots of apps you can use for the program, too. I like to use one called, "Get Running", but there are lots of them out there!

Good luck!
Catherine (30). SW: 260 CW: 195. GW: 150. Couch to 5K: Week 9!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to peaksis's response:
In my first reply I posted the site www.coolrunning.com Once you're there there's a link right on the home page.

An_233207 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
I also started a couch potato to 5k program from Podrunner. They have interval training workouts to 10k. I've been on it for one week now and have found it easy to use. I'm nearly running at 6 miles per hour in one week, up from the 5 miles per hour jog I started with. ttp://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.