Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
exercises and stretches for osteo arthritis in hips
mjs1959 posted:
Hi - are there any exercises or stretches that help slow the progress and/or minimize the pain of osteo arthritis in the hips?

I have been diagnosed with OA (MRI) and worked with a physical therapist for about 3 months. But, the therapist primarily addressed my back and neck pain (herniated discs) and was not able to spend time on my hips. Since I don't have any more visits approved with the PT until next year, I am hopeful someone can tell me about hip exercises or stretches I can do between now and then.

I am pretty active (walking, biking, hiking etc) but I am feeling the arthritis in my hips more and more every week, (day and night).

Thanks in advance for any exercises or stretches you can share with me.

Sincerely,

Mike Sherry

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Hi Mike,

There are plenty of stretches and exercises you can do for your hips, and lower extremities in general. EXRX.net has great pictures of exercises and stretches organized by muscle group. Here's a link:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

When you get to that page you'll see links in the Hips section for: Gluteus Maximus, Abductors, Flexors, and Deep External Rotators. Each link has pictures of exercises and stretches. I can't tell you which will be best for you, so try them out and see what helps most. As a precaution, keep in mind that with OA you don't want to push through the pain, and you want to avoid pushing when you have a flare-up, so take your time. Strengthening and stretching can certainly help you manage OA, and so you're on the right path.

You might also be interested in information from the Arthritis Foundation http://www.arthritis.org/exercise-intro.php

And while you're at their site check what's happening at the local Arthritis Foundation office near your home http://www.arthritis.org/chaptermap.php There are water aerobics and other opportunities for exercise at many locations.

I hope that helps,

Feel free to post back if you have any other questions.

Take care,
Rich

mjs1959 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Rich - thanks so much for taking the time to send me these links and your insights. I'll drop you a note down the road if I learn anything that you may find interesting.

Mike Sherry

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to mjs1959's response:
You're very welcome Mike. I look forward to hearing about your progress. Good luck to you.

brunosbud replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Mr. Weil,

Fantastic resources, as always. Thank you!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to brunosbud's response:
You're very welcome brunosbud. Glad I could help.

kateinia replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thank you, Rich, for recommending the Arthritis Foundation. I teach the Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program, and It's amazing what good it does me (that's why I teach it!).

I had a 60-year-old man attend my class. He had severe osteoporosis and walked bent over with the typical osteoporosis shuffle walk. He faithfully attended my class (not the aquatics, the 'land-based', we sit in chairs and stand for part of the exercises) for three months. At the end of three months, he was standing up straight and walking normally. He and I and my supervisor were all amazed at his rapid progress.

Now, this is atypical progress in my experience. It usually takes people 3-6 months to see major progress. But this class works. I took the class for three years before I became a class leader. My fibromyalgia pain dropped from pain level 7 daily down to a 1 and 0 within a year. Just by doing these simple exercises? I was amazed!

Again, thank you for recommending the Arthritis Foundation Exercise Programs. If members of this discussion group do not live in an area where a class is offered, they can purchase a DVD or video cassette to use for exercising.

Good luck, Mike. I'm living proof that this program works. I have osteoarthritis throughout my entire body. My rheumatologist is amazed at how well I function. I leave him brochures about the Arthritis Foundation Exercise Programs and tell him that most of his patients won't believe that gentle exercises will reduce their pain. But it does.

Let us know how the exercises work for you.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to kateinia's response:
You're welcome Kateinia. It's a great program and you're doing good work. Good for you.

DavidJax replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Rich, much appreciated.
In a few weeks, I have to deliver a venerable pickup truck to my brother in Maine, a few day's drive from home here in the deep South. Adding visits to friends, that means a week away from the gym. I've lost weight and gained strength in the last 6 months or so and don't wish to back slide. Living with strength and flexibility is too good to lose!
I can dodge the road food OK, but hips (one a full replacement), knees, and back are going to require regular attention at the roadside. 'Looks like I can put together a 5-10 min. workout from the resources that you posted above. If you have any particular moves to suggest (standing up or seated on the tailgate esp.), please recommend.
Again, thanks

brunosbud responded:
Mike,

I'm 55 and not overweight. I lead an active life, like you. Between work and exercise, I walk on avg 40 mi/wk. This has been my routine for several years.

Earlier this year, I developed nagging hip pain, myself. This was shocking to me since I've not encountered any joint pain for as long as I've been on my fitness program.

The pain is gone, now. It stopped after about 3 terrible months, never to return. I started a daily stretching routine (10 minutes) with emphasis on the hips and lower back and, Ouila! Pain gone.

OA indicates degeneration of the cartilage but I strongly suggest you look into stretching the hips out, everyday, just the same...it worked for me.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to DavidJax's response:
Hi David,

Go ahead and post your 5- to 10-minute on-the-road workout and I'll be happy to review it for you.

And don't forget tubing for resistance exercise. It's perfect for travel. It packs easy. It's also inexpensive and versatile (you can do lots of exercises with them even in a chair - or off the back of the truck), and if you're not alreday doing it, a great way to get started with resistance exercise. You can start with a set of three for about $20. They come in colors to denote the tension. If you order them make sure to order the strap that allows you to attach the tube to a door, and if you want to work your legs and hips, ask for leg straps. Here are some vendors that sell them.

www.performbetter.com/catalog/default.asp

www.power-systems.com

Here's a site with great videos http://www.body-mind-strength.com/resistance_tube_exercises/resistance_tube_exercises.html

Good luck David. Rich

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Ab ExercisesExpert
As mentioned in the Losing Belly Fat post, you cannot spot reduce, but you can tighten muscles under excess fat. As a result you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 56 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.