Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
What's the actual number of calories burned?
JeannieY posted:
Hi Rich,

I'm curious to find out what is the actual number of calories burned while I do my weekly runs. I've been running about 6.5 to 7 miles every other day on a treadmill. My pace is usually 6.7mph to 7mph, with occasional speed bursts up to 8mph (0-1% incline only). I weigh about 116 pounds with gym clothes and shoes on. I know the calories burned based on my weight/speed/miles run on the treadmill is off, but I'm not sure by how much. I keep track of what I eat and burn so I'd like to get a more accurate number if possible. Generally, I've been estimating that if I run 7 miles, I burn about 500 calories at most. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks,
Jeannie

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Hi Jeannie,

At 116 pounds you burn 77 calories per mile, so 7 miles is 541 calories. So you're pretty close. Keep in mind that these numbers are estimates. You can't get the precise amount of calories burned like you can in the lab (too may variables, including ambient temperature, biomechanics, etc.), but 77 is probably pretty close. I hope that helps. Rich

JeannieY replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thanks a lot Rich. It's very helpful.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to JeannieY's response:
You're welcome Jeannie.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.