Includes Expert Content
Pain in both feet
twintojen posted:
I have just purchased an eliptical machine and have been putting about 3 miles on it with each use. My feet burn really bad before the workout is complete. Sometimes I have to stop and take my shoes off to get some relief then put them back on and go again. Why do my feet hurt and burn so badly during exercise?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Foot numbness on the Elliptical is common and generally happens after around 20-25 minutes. It's typically caused by either decrease in blood flow from constriction or static pressure on the feet, or compression of nerves. First, make sure your shoe laces are not too tight and that your toes have enough room in the toe box to wiggle around. Second, shift your feet on the machine every few minutes and wiggle your toes. These techniques will get blood flowing back to your toes or release the nerve compression. If all else fails then you may need to get off the machine and walk around for a few minutes, or you could do some other machine and then go back to the elliptical.

twintojen replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
thank you for the helpful info.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to twintojen's response:
You're very welcome.

feelingood1004 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
I'm having the same issue on my treadmill. After 20 mins of jogging, my feet begin to feel numb. Could my foot strike be causing this? I've tried running mostly on the balls of my feet, but I have a tendency to go back to running heel-to-toe after a few minutes.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to feelingood1004's response:
Yes, foot strike could cause it. Hitting the front of your shoe with your toes because your laces are loose or your shoes are too short, or your shoes are too small in the toe box (have you recently changed shoes?), could cause this when you run on the balls of your feet; or it could be you are doing more downhill running or possibly trail running than normal and that's causing your foot to slide forward against the front of your shoe (which can also cause black toe). You might experiment with just running with heel strike only, then only ball-of-the-foot, and see if only one style causes it, then you'll know. Or change shoes, or lace tighter in the mid-foot to stop your foot from sliding forward (not tight around your ankle, which could cause a lack of blood flow). If you can't figure it out then you ought to check it out with your doctor.

An_241661 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
I am recently experiencing a burning pain near by big toe, not only when walking (3 miles a day) but now it is waking me from sleep. I also have what feels like nerves firing off in my toes while walking downstairs (during my aerobic walk) and some numbness in my toes. All of this on one foot. The other foot also has the nerve firing and numbness issue. The shoes I am wearing are not new and are the same style and manufacturer I have worn for years. Any ideas?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to An_241661's response:
There could be several reasons for this, including low back issues and nerves to these locations on your body. I suggest you check out the Sports Medicine Community at http://exchanges.webmd.com/sports-medicine-exchange and if it continues you ought to speak with your doctor.

zeroford responded:
MY FEET BURN TO. WHEN I'M PLAYING BBALL (BASKETBALL) AND ITS SOMETIMES HOT MY FEET BURN REALLY BAD WHY WHAT TREATMENT DO I NEED