Includes Expert Content
pain in upper abdomen after workout
lday777 posted:
Last night about half an hour after my usual swim workout, I started getting sharp pain in my upper abdominal area. It lasted about an hour. Earlier in the week I had been feeling some muscle pain in the same area. I restricted my workout for a couple of days and quit doing the work that I thought was causing it (lifting a bucket of water over the fence for my livestock). The pain had gone away but then I got the sharp pain last night. Could this be a muscle spasm or something else?

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi lday,

I'm sorry to hear about this repetitive pain that you have been experiencing in your upper abdomen. Though it may be nothing but cramps or heart burn, no one can give you a true diagnosis without a professional examination.

This What Causes Chest Pain? Overview shows that a great number of reasons may result in such symptoms. Please see your doctor and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Take care!
Amelia

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
I don't know why you're having this. You could check the Sports Medicine Community . When you post to them be as precise as you can about the location of the pain. If this continues you ought to check in with your physician.