Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Ab exercises after abdominal surgery
cmonges posted:
I have had 2 rather extensive abdominal surgeries which make regular sit ups and crunches painful to do. Are there any other ways that I can firm up my abdominal muscles?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Without knowing anything about you or your surgery or your current status, I am hesitant to recommend anything for fear of it hurting you. You can check out the Sports Medicine Community at http://exchanges.webmd.com/sports-medicine-exchange if you like, but your best bet is to speak with your surgeon about what's safe, and perhaps even some physical therapy.

cmonges replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
I had a partial colectomy (sp?) and an abdominal hysterectomy with the last surgery being almost 3 years ago. I have been working on losing weight and getting in shape via the treadmill, crossfit and walking with some free weights. I would like to tone up my abdominal area but as I stated it is painful when I get partially through any sit up type activity. I am 44 and in fairly good shape other than to lose about 20 pounds.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
Was this Helpful?
41 of 55 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.