Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
instant results?!
mommaxeli posted:
I started Jillian Michael's 30 day shred last week. There are three levels, and I jumped right into level 3 since I feel pretty fit already. I have never done much in the way of resistance training, so I was hoping for some toning, especially in my arms. Well, I seem to see a HUGE difference already. Is that possible? I swear after only 4 or 5 workouts, my arms look noticably different. That just doesn't seem possible. When I rub my upper arms, I can feel new muscles that I never noticed before, especially my triceps. Woo-hee do they look and feel spectacular! My skin looks tighter--just a teeny-tiny bit hanging around now (something I'm very self-conscious about).

Is it possible for me to see these significant results already? Or is this just mental/wishful thinking?
Catherine (30). SW: 260 CW: 163. GW: 150. Couch to 5K: Graduated! First 5K: Complete! On to the 10K :)

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Nope, not wishful thinking. Part of what you're describing is most likely swelling of the muscles as they fill with fluid to heal, especially since you haven't been doing any resistance exercise, and then bam, you hit your muscles hard. You shocked them! And then there is new protein synthesis and growth occurring as well. Plus I'm sure you're getting stronger too. And of course, it's going to help with your running. You may feel that extra mass during your running, and it's a good thing, because in the end, you will be much, much stronger. All in all, a really good situation. Keep up the good work.

leetheman responded:
Since you are using words like huge, what does that mean? Did you measure your arms before and after. It's probably a temporary swell which often happens after exercising a specific part of the body. I think that you are a little excited about the prospect of instant improvement.I have been working out everyday for 9 years and nothing in fitness is instant unless it is probably illegal/dangerous.I'm well over 50 and I'm probably in much better shape that most 30 year olds.My stomach is completely flat like it was when I was in my teens/20s.FYI , I am a Certified Fitness Coach/Trainer.

sketervb replied to leetheman's response:
I am VERY impressed at your age and how you say your stomach looks! I wish "I" could do that. I am 65 and thin EXCEPT for my stomach! Any "fat" I have goes straight to my "below waist belly"! My Mother is the same way and I don't know if it's because I am made up like her OR if it's just
that it goes there. I don't exercise much BUT am starting and I "hear" that there are NO exercises that will "target a certain area "especially the stomach". Can you tell me what to do
to TRY and get this fat off my "stomach" and get a FLAT stomach like yours? I would be forever GRATEFUL! And I need to build up my arms and legs! Do you know what to do to "firm the inside of your leg to tigten loose skin...if you know what I mean"...like the "upper inside" of leg? Thanks a million! This is my FIRST EVER POST so please forgive me if I sound "green" with these questions.

mommaxeli replied to leetheman's response:
I didn't mean my arms were huge in size. I said I saw a huge difference. I certainly did not measure before and after a workout. I don't expect results like that

My arms have always been a point of self-consciousness for me. I've lost 4 inches off (each) upper arm. So there's skin. Lots of it. And I never really had great muscle tone there, either. So the huge differences I noticed after just a couple weeks were the defined triceps that I never noticed before and noticable tightening of my loose skin.

I'm sure you weren't implying that I'm doing something illegal or dangerous. But for the record, I'm not! The only supplement I take is a multi-vitamin Everything I've done has been through hard work and dedication!

I was just simply asking if it was really possible to see/feel results in that little time. It didn't really seem possible.
Catherine (30). SW: 260 CW: 163. GW: 150. Couch to 5K: Graduated! First 5K: Complete! On to the 10K :)

TimWVRT responded:
it is possible to see changes right away depending on how often you are working out. when you work out your muscles swell, so if you have worked out 4 or 5 times close together, your muscles will stay swollen until they have a chance to heal. this is not a bad thing. if you go a few days without working out you will see them go down some, but the swelling can be encouraging as it lets you see what your muscles have the potential to look like, so keep it up and make the changes you are seeing perminant.

Jabelcich responded:
Yes, It is possible. Genetics can play a big role when it comes to working out everybody is different. Some people get results very slow and some very fast and everything in between. Through my experiences a lot of people are naturally strong or fit and others have a hard time. So it doesn't suprise me to read about your post but it is rare so be happy about it

sketervb replied to sketervb's response:
no reply from leetheman?

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Losing Weight Ladies
Hi there! Just a quick tip for all the ladies trying to lose weight out there. Cardio is great, but if you do only cardio (running, ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.