Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Diet and Exercise with NO Weight Loss
gagirl79 posted:
I have been on Nutrisystems for 2 weeks and have NOT strayed off the 1200 calorie diet plan. I have also been exercising 6 days a week - walking, interval training - running on the treadmill between 4-6 mph, and taking a bike training class on a computerized trainer at a Bicycle shop for 1.5 hours a week. I burn between 350 and 550 calories a day. I have not lost any weight. I am 5'4.5" and weigh 145 pounds. I was already in good shape, but need to lose about 10 pounds. I am borderline type 2 diabetes and would like to get that under control. I am on the Nutrisystem Plan for Type 2 diabetes so I eat small amounts every few hours. Why am I not losing weight?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
One possible explanation is that you've recently started exercising much harder and your muscles are holding water as they recover and grow. That can account for a few pounds, in which case you might be losing body fat, but the retention of water counteracts the number on the scale. If you weren't losing fat then it would be possible to even gain weight. Make sure you stay hydrated, and give it a few more week. If after that time you still aren't losing, then you are consuming more calories than you burn, even if you think you're not. To lose weight you must consume fewer calories than you burn no matter how much exercise you do. Even if you run a marathon every day you will not lose weight if you consume more calories than you burn. Research shows that people can under estimate their calorie intake by as much as 40% to 50%, so you need to be meticulous.

One other possibility is that your BMI is currently 24.9. That's a healthy, normal BMI. I don't know what your body type is, or how much body fat you have, but it simply may be that you are at your set point, and attempts at losing may be resisted by your body. If that's the case, then you might want to shift your focus from body weight to body composition (how much muscle and fat you have). You can monitor your body fat by using a bioelectric impedance (BIA) scale. You can buy a BIA scale for around $45. Check www.omron.com and www.tanita.com/ for more information. As for prevention of diabetes, the more muscle you have the better, even if you don't lose.

You can post your diet- and nutrition-related questions to these WebMD Communities:

WebMD Eating & Diet Communities

WebMD Healthy Eating & Diet Center

WebMD Health & Cooking Center

brunosbud responded:
Forget the "preservation" aspects of eating "manufactured" food...

How can anything nutritious survive after knuke'd to smitherins', not once, but, twice?

rohvannyn replied to brunosbud's response:
To answer your question Brunosbud, because not all elements simply disappear after being exposed to microwave radiation or other manufacturing processes. That said, I prefer to eat fresh foods that are not processed as well.

brunosbud replied to rohvannyn's response:

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/madonna-fitness-super-bowl?src=RSS_PUBLIC

I'm so glad this article was provided by WebMD because it kinda illustrates my point...

Good health and fitness is not a spectator sport. You can't buy it and it's not easy, especially, when you're looking to see results, yesterday, like so many of us, here, do...

Good health and fitness centers around sound fundamentals...

• a healthy diet,
  • a consistent level of daily activity, and
  • good sleep

Now, Madonna pays "Gunnar" $150k/yr, plus, to oversee her diet and fitness program, but you're reading this stuff for free thanks to WebMD!

"...It takes dedication to exercise, a dedication to nutrition and a dedication to sleep . And the minute you fall off in one of those categories, you will notice it in the physique when you are at that level..."
Wow...cutting edge...

"...I tell people, try to eat foods as close to their natural state as possible: fruits and vegetables , high-quality protein . They are going to need complex carbohydrates [such as whole-grain breads and cereals> for long-term energy..."

Now, I didn't write that stuff..."Gunnar" did.

• Where does he talk about 1200 calories?
  • Or, eating tomato sauce with low fat cheese on cardboard triangles (ie. "Diet Plan Pizza")?
  • Or, 500 calorie "Smart Ones" pasta dinners?
  • Does he even mention the term "Low Fat"?????

My point is this...
When you consistently eat clean, whole foods, you can, more or less, remove the issue of good nutrition, essential for weight loss, "off the table". Now, you may have other issues standing in your way of successful weight loss, but a healthy diet won't be one of them.
But, when you eat "something else", diet could still be the issue. It's in doubt...You can't be sure...It's still "on the table".
  • Am I eating too much refined carbs?
  • Is the salt content creating an issue?
  • Could the lack of fiber be a problem?
  • Is there hidden sugar they're not telling me about?

"...not all elements simply disappear..."
Thank god for that but is "it" enough? How can you be sure?

I understand most of the members, here, are not interested in having a smokin', hot, rockin' body like Madonna's. Without question, her's is an extremist point of view...
But, with all the money and resources at her disposal, don't you think she would simply buy "that" body rather than endure that kind of pain and suffering she does?
If Nutrisystems made sense, wouldn't it be easier to eat that, instead, and ditch "Gunnar"?
Just askin'...

rohvannyn replied to brunosbud's response:
Agreed that highly processed food does not have the same nutritional quality, and I don't like it either and try to avoid it. That said, not all nutrients disappear in processing. I am sure of this because of the rules of chemistry.

Reasons why Madonna doesn't use some normal diet plan: she is rich and can afford "better," and is much too busy to do the research for herself. It's easier to have a dedicated professional watching over her.

Agreed that a lot of good information is available on WebMd and other sources, and I'm okay with doing research, educating myself, eating fresh and healthy food, and getting good quality exercise. Learning how to maintain ourselves is a great gift we can give ourselves, because then we are in control instead of some trainer. (Not to knock trainers but I personally would rather arm myself with the information.)

gagirl79 replied to brunosbud's response:
Actually, I agree with the "natural" food comments. The nutrisystems food is NOT the main portion of the food eaten. You have to eat 4-5 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables and protein, such as chicken or fish. I actually eat healthier meals on this plan because I make sure to have the salads, vegetables, and lean protein every day.

Whole wheat cereal for breakfast, black beans and brown rice for lunch, and a small portion of a whole grain pasta dish for dinner is the "normal" provided meals. Then you add in the "natural" foods.

Don't be so quick to judge. The plan was just a way to track calories, remember to eat 5 small portions during the day and remind me to eat the vegetables and fruit. It is too easy to grab a sandwich for lunch and some pasta for dinner and not get the balanced meals.

gagirl79 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. You were correct about the water weight. I have a tanita scale and the water % was up by 1.5% over my "normal". Today the water % is back to normal and my weight is down 1.5 pounds.

brunosbud replied to gagirl79's response:
"Don't be so quick to judge?"

OK...I'll be more thoughtful next time. Thank you for the advice, gaggirl79.

Good luck in your weight loss!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to gagirl79's response:
Glad to hear it gagirl. Good luck with your training.

eden_hazard45 responded:
To be honest, I even could not imagine how hard it is to find decent piece of info on the above topic. It took me a couple of hours before I came across your site. No doubt, it is the best freely available source! Thanks for it!
cottage cheese diet

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to eden_hazard45's response:
Welcome to the Fitness and Exercise Community eden_hazard

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to eden_hazard45's response:
Welcome to the Fitness and Exercise Community eden_hazard.

GarnisLitton responded:
I think you have problem of Cholesterol.. You need to consult doctor.

gagirl79 replied to GarnisLitton's response:
Can you explain this comment. I'm not sure the corelation between cholesterol and weight loss. Thanks.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.