Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Exercise itchy bumps
ag1432 posted:
When I work out I get itchy red bumps on the underside of my arms and legs...once I cool down they are less itchy, but they stay red and raised for 30 minutes to an hour. Even after a cool shower they are there for a while. It's not so pretty and very itchy! What is causing this and how can I stop it? I also get a lesser version of these red itchy bumps if I wake up really hot at night.

R_Weil responded:
This is a common occurrence. The first thing to check is your clothing detergent or any new soaps that you use. A new detergent or soap that you?re not used to might cause an allergic-type reaction on your skin and you should change it. If you rule out the detergent and soap, then you should consider an allergic reaction during exercise. During exercise, histamines are released and some people are sensitive to them. People sensitive to histamines can experience rashes, itching, and other allergic symptoms during exercise, just like you are describing. Most of the time the rashes appear on the chest and thighs, but can be on the arms or neck too. Sometimes exercise also reacts with food allergies or medications (e.g., antibiotics, pain medications, sedatives, tranquilizers, and diuretics) to cause the problem. If the problem is bothering you so much that you can?t stand it, and it?s not going away, then you should ask your doctor about using a topical ointment to stop the itching, or taking an over-the-counter anti-histamine (like Benadryl) 30-60 minutes before exercising. If over-the-counter anti-histamines make you sleepy, your doctor can prescribe a non-sedative anti-histamine. You should only take over-the-counter or prescription medication for this problem after speaking with your doctor.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.