Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Fitness after heart attack.
bforfitness posted:
Six months ago I had a heart attack. My cardiologest told me to walk forty minutes daily. I have done this and feel great. Since I was at the gym anyway, I started lifting weights and have been at it for about six weeks. I take metoprolol to keep my heart rate down. While walking a 17min. mile, my heart rate rarely goes above 95. While lifting weights, my heart rate goes to about 100, then comes down quickly to about 85. I feel good, but sometimes get slightly dizzy and it takes a couple of minutes to recover. Is the drug doing this and am I putting myself in danger? I am 53 and weigh 155.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Beta blockers slow down the heart rate and keep it from rising too high at rest and at exercise. I recommend a perceived exertion scale to assess how hard you are working. You can read more here http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/measuring/exertion.html

But you really need to speak with your doctor about the dizziness. I suggest you do that before you push yourself at the gym again.

Good luck,
Rich

thomasmite996 responded:
Health fitness is deeply needed after heart attack.
Doctor advice to take proper bed rest after attack and eat less fat and protein foods items.
Eat fruits and vegetables which have more vitamins and minerals. These vitamins are better and good for heart patients.
don't take burden and stress of work.
Just chill and stay healthy all the time...

bforfitness replied to thomasmite996's response:
Thanks for the info. However, I am 5'10 and weigh 155 with a body fat index of 22. What are the nutritional needs of a lean guy like me?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to bforfitness's response:
A nutritionist could be very helpful as you try to stay healthy. Ask your cardiologist for a recommendation - and congratulations on the steps you are taking to stay healthy!

Haylen

brunosbud replied to thomasmite996's response:
This advice applies to diabetics and cancer patients...

And, people with arthritis and COPD...

And, those with alzheimer's and fatty liver disease...

Actually, this advice applies to anyone who cares about their health.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
Was this Helpful?
43 of 57 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.