Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Is a resting of heart rate of 38 bpm too low?
An_243766 posted:
(I've checked it five or so different days, so I'm pretty sure that's accurate.)

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
It is low. An average athlete's heart rate is in the 50's. Ultra fit endurance athletes can have a heart rate in the low 40's or high 30's, but that's very low and not that common. You didn't say anything about your fitness or age or how much you exercise, or how you take it, so I can't say for sure. And sometimes medications can make it low.

Some people do have low resting heart rates, but again, yours is really low. If it is accurate, then problems that can occur are things like getting dizzy when you stand up or when you exercise, or even a lack of appropriate rise with exercise. You should have someone else check it for you to make sure, and you should check your exercise heart rate as well. And if it is that low then your doctor should know about it.

Take care,
Rich

An_243766 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thanks for the reply! I wouldn't say I'm in brilliant shape, but I exercise frequently, usually above 18 or so hours a week. I don't take any medicine. Is there anything else that's common that can cause it to be low?

Is being dizzy a problem? It does rise with exercise, up to 150-180 bpm.

Thank you for your help!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to An_243766's response:
Hi,

You're welcome. Yes, dizziness is a problem. You could pass out and hit your head. Like I said, if you had someone else check it and it's accurate, then you ought to check in with your doctor before you get hurt. Go ahead and do that.

Take care,
Rich

Kmilla responded:
I have a coworker with the same condition. Her resting HR is between 35 bpm and 45 bpm. She found it in the hospital for an unrelated event when the heart monitors kept going off saying she was in cardiac arrest but she was awake and talking like normal! Freaked the nurses out. She's been to cardiologists and had tests done and they've found nothing wrong with her. She just has a really low heart rate. And she is no athlete, works out only on occassion. I'd be interested to see if you find anything wrong.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Kmilla's response:
Ok, got it. We don't typically see resting heart rates that low but if yours and your friends is that low and the doctor cleared it and says there's nothing wrong then I suppose you just go about your business. However, the dizziness could still be a problem and so I suggest you ask the doctor about it.

Take care,
Rich

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 58 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.