Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
exercise when depleted and stressed
Richkrz posted:
Along with sleep apnea, I also have an anxiety disorder and am very overwhelmed by some stressful circumstances in my life, all of which physically saps my energy. I still make myself work out, but usually feel more wiped out rather than energized afterwards.

Do to schedule constraints I can only work first thing in the morning. I don't suppose you have any tips on how I could modify my workouts to still improve strength and stamina, but not wipe me out? (Of course, work with doctors on the apnea, anxiety, and stress will continue in the meantime, but looks like it will be a long road).

Thanks,
Rich

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Hi Rich,

There's two ways to modify workouts to make it less demanding without compromising too much on the benefits side. One is the intensity; that is, how hard it feels. Instead of making it feel "hard", make it feel "somewhat hard." The second is duration; that is, the length of time (20 minutes of cardio will still give you health and fitness benefits). You could also modify some of the exercises if they are too hard. The other thing to consider is your diet. You may need a snack (or half your breakfast) 20-30 minutes before your workout for a little energy.

I hope that helps. It's hard to say more without knowing how long you exercise, how hard you work, and what activities you do. If you do reply please include this information.

Take care,
Rich

Richkrz replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Hi Rich,
I am a 42 year old male, 6''3", 200lbs. Even though my weight is ok, everyone thinks I look thin, and tired. so I don't want/need to lose any weight. My goals right now would be to relieve stress, improve energy and focus, maybe firm up my lower body and add a little muscle to my upper body.,

I only work out for about 30 minutes, 5 days a week. I alternate between full body workouts and interval cardio work usually on a ski machine. Sometimes I will substitute in a yoga session, but it doesn't feel vigorous enough for me to do as my sole daily exercise on a regular basis.

Prior to working out i have a drink made up of half a scoop of protein powder and about 4 oz of orange juice. I wait about a half hour after that to start exercise, but my body really struggles to wake up for intense exercise. When I do cardio, I struggle to get my body working hard enough to get my heart rate up to 135bmp. I do make the first 10 minutes a warm up when doing either cardio or weights.

Are full body weight workouts 3x a week a mistake given how I am feeling? I usually do them circuit style, sticking to compound movements (usually 2-3 sets of pushups, rows, squats, and a hamstring exercise, along with some planks, which on paper doesn't sound like an excessive amount).

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Richkrz's response:
Hi Rich,
Full-body workouts in a circuit sounds good to me considering your goals. They are tough and if you think they zap your energy, then yes, you could cut back to two days a week with your 5 days of cardio with intervals (maybe intervals only 2x a week if they make you tried the rest of the time). I can't say why you're so tired, but some of the things to look at are diet, stress (which it sounds like you have), and hours of sleep you get. You also didn't mention what time of day you work out. Of course there are lots of reasons for fatigue and if it continues you probably ought to speak with your doctor. Yoga could be helpful for stress, and although it's not as intense a workout as you like, once a week would be helpful when you can squeeze it in. It's not for aerobic or strength conditioning for you, it's for stress reduction. It seems overall that what you are doing is reasonable, and so maybe you need to look for some of the other reasons why you're so tired. I'm not sure I've really answered all your questions, but if you do have more questions, feel free to post back.

Take care,
Rich

Richkrz replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Hi Rich,
I actually only do 2 or 3 days of cardio a week. I work out 5 times a week total, alternating days of cardio and weights. So on paper I really shouldn't have any problem doing such a basic routine. I work out first thing in the morning (it's the only way to guarantee I will get it in, although it isn't ideal given my sleep apnea) . I have my juice/protein shake when I wake up, and begin exercise a half hour later.

Is it possible doing full body workouts all the time is too taxing for me right now? Would it be worth trying some kind of split routine?

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Love handles
You cannot spot exercise. I went on mostly carb-free diet for several months. I did eat fruits and veggies, but eliminated breads, cereals ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.