Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
getting started in the morning
TheNew40 posted:
I am new and want to start a healthy life style all around. I've analyzed my day and find that early morning would work best for me to exercise, however, I can't seem to get myself motivated. I only need 30 minutes and I have to be out the door by 6:30 am for work. I have cardio and strength work outs to alternate but I just can't get myself to do it and now I'm frustrated with myself. Is it possible to be so lazy? Any ideas for motivation, other than a healthier me?

Tomato05 responded:
Try going to bed earlier so that getting up earlier won't be so hard.

Maybe get up 15 min. earlier at first and then 20 min, etc. until you can get up early enough to fit in 30 or 40 min. of exercise.

It's all a matter of a new morning routine that will quickly become a habit.

I am doing a job now for 6 weeks, and I have to be up at 4.15am in order to get to the gym and be at work by 8am! It's not easy, but one gets used to it. I always remind myself in the morning of how I'm just going to be sitting for the rest of the day - it's my only moving opportunity!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
A few things. As Tomato says, make sure you get enough sleep. Sometimes it's hard to get to bed early. Make an effort to do that if you're not, and avoid watching TV or on the computer late at night. The computer monitor is comparable to daylight and will keep you awake. Once you wake up don't lie around. get out of bed and on the bike. I suggest you make it just 2 days at first during the week, and then get two more days on the weekend when you don't have to get up so early. Leave your workout clothes right by your bed, listen to music or a favorite TV show while you do it, and most important. make a schedule. Plan when you're going to do it. Write it down and check it off once you do it. Don't leave it up to spontaneity. If you say it's Tuesday and Thursday then you'll know that when you go to bed and you'll be thinking about it. I don't believe it's always a question of motivation as much as discipline and persistence. You have to be motivated somewhat otherwise you wouldn't even be thinking about this. Make your rules, make your plan, and stick with it. Once you get started it will get easier. Keep posting back with updates. Use this Community as a your accountability and report in. Make your plan today. It will work.

TheNew40 replied to Tomato05's response:
Tomato & Rich~ Thanks so much for your advice/input, I do appreciate it. I am going to be making some night time changes so that I can have my mornings. I never thought about my night time habits. I am setting my clock for 15 minutes early, starting two days a week, and then go from there. It can only get better. I will report my progress.

Wow~4:15 am...That is impressive Tomato. Keep up the good work.

Thanks again and Good Morning!

TheNew40 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thank you so much for the advice. I am now looking at this at a whole new perspective and I appreciate that. I never thought about changing my night time habits. I do have a plan, just need to get up and start it. This is a great Easter for me...Thank you!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to TheNew40's response:
You're very welcome. Post an update every so often and let us know how things go. Take care. Rich

TheNew40 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
I started this morning! I dislike 'starting' new routines on holidays or Mondays. I got up 30 minutes earlier and did some weight training for about 15/20 minutes. It was tough but I did it. AND I actually felt good afterwards, more alert and ready to start the day. I plan on doing some walking later this afternoon. Early to bed, early to rise will make me healthy, well and wise.

Tomato05 replied to TheNew40's response:
Congratulations - that's excellent progress. The longer you follow this routine, the more you will enjoy it.

And you're right, it does prepare one for the day. It gets the blood pumping through body and brain!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to TheNew40's response:
Good work! That's really awesome. I like that you felt good afterward. That will help you stay motivated. Good effort on your part. Good for you.

jaschm responded:
I am really lazy too! I hate exercising and just think of exercising as tread mill and weights...BORING! But I have recently started to play racquet ball and it is a great work out and fun. Find something fun you like to do and don't forget that cleaning your house still counts as burning calories even though it is not as intense and beneficial as doing a work out routine. Shoveling works out your arms and legs! I work at 7 and hate waking up early but I try to get in some calorie burning in the morning, do 10 jumping jacks and some stretches in the shower. Take the stairs, park far away, if you sit a lot at work drink lots of water so you have to walk to the bathroom more. There was a great article on yahoo about exercises you can do in office. Sit in your chair with it pushed out sit straight up and just stand up contracting you leg muscles, explode up and then slowy sit back down, do this 10 times and you can feel the burn you look stupid but who cares. To get more motivated I pin up pictures of myself when I was at a good weight, I see them and it makes me think twice about eating cookies, talking to other people about exercising and having a work out partner is also a motivator or even watching a movie with fit people like GI Jane motivates me to kick butt in a workout. I like to play games on my computer so I sit on the exercise ball and even that strengthens your core. This best for me is doing activaties where I am burning calories and not even notice I am exercising. Hope this helps.

sheskrafty replied to TheNew40's response:
I;m right with you! I am trying to do the same, and although I have the motivation to exercise and get healthier, I have the hardest time waking up! I set my alarm at night to get up early enough to get in a 40 minute workout, but then somehow that pesky "SNOOZE" button gets in the way of it.
Good luck getting on the right track to a healthier you!! And good luck with getting up on time to do it!!

sheskrafty replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thanks for all of the tips! I am trying to get myself in better shape, and also to feel better and have mroe energy for the day--I have a desk job and it feels draining. I will definitely take your suggestions, and start out with 2 or 3 days a week and try to work myself up to more. I find all of these comments and suggestions very motivating, good luck to everyone!

brunosbud replied to sheskrafty's response:
May I be so bold as to to give you some advice?

Don't use an alarm clock.

Uninterrupted sleep is one of the most healthy things you can do and no matter what shape you're in, everybody can do it!

When you use an alarm clock,
you're shootin' yourself in the foot...
you're sinking your own boat...
you're spittin' into the wind...
you're tuggin' on Superman's cape...
you're rowin' up $#&* creek without a paddle...
you're...

...well you get the idea...

Everyone looks forward to the weekend because????.......
You can sleep in!

When you sleep in,
you feel better, right?
And, you have more fun, correct?
And, you feel more relaxed, no?
And, you take some time for yourself, capice?
And, you...

In summary, people who make everyday a "Sunday morning" live longer, healthier lives. So, get a great nights sleep and, maybe, just maybe, you'll find you're problem isn't that...

you're "lazy", or...
you can't get "motivated", or...
you need "support", or...
you have a "slow metabolism", or...
you're "depressed", or

Maybe your problem is you're just sleepy.

sheskrafty replied to brunosbud's response:
I would absolutely LOVE to not use an alarm clock, because I do love my sleep, but I;d be worried that I wouldn't wake up on time for work. i usually get about 7 to 8 hours of sleep, but I'm not a morning person. And when I don't use an alarm clock (for example, on weekends) i sleep until at least 10 or 1, which would definitely not be ok during the week. Also, I take Seroquil, aroung 9:00 pm, and I'm just not sure that I'd be up on time for work without my alarm clock,

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Ab ExercisesExpert
As mentioned in the Losing Belly Fat post, you cannot spot reduce, but you can tighten muscles under excess fat. As a result you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 54 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.