Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Exercise with hernia
jkbond posted:
I have recently found out that I have a small hernia and am in the queue for an ultrasound to determine its extent. In the meantime I want to continue my exercising and am wondering what my program should consist of. The doctor didn't really give me a lot of restrictions except for telling me to avoid lifting heavy weights but I am wondering (and forgot to ask) about specific activities such as situps and rowing which it seems to me might cause trouble. I generally exercise, cardio and resistance exercises, 5-6 days a week for an hour or more each day and consider myself in reasonably good shape and of course want to stay that way if possible. I'd be interested in any tips that anyone might have.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Go ahead and give the doctor a call back and describe specifically what you have in mind. You're right that the ab work and rowing would strain the hernia, (abdominal or otherwise). The doctor should be the one to answer this for you. Take care, Rich

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

8 habits of successful dieters
8 habits of successful dieters More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.