Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
running
missconfusion posted:
Hi I'm a 13 year old girl.I'm homeschooled so I don't play any sports we don't have many neighbors or any kids around so I didn't exercise much .Well about 8 months ago I started walking .The first week I walked and every day I walked faster ,the next week I ran up to half a mile and I ffelt good like I could run the whole mile so the next week I did it was very painful I felt sick ,my lungs were burning,my legs were cramping and I felt like I might fall during the run but I still finished the mile without stopping.After a couple days of this it got so bad I completly stopped running ,well last month I decided to try again I started out walking like before and last week I ran the full mile.It feels just as bad as the last time i've been running it for 2 weeks and it still seems to get worse .I run early in the morning .I ran in the rain,in the fog,when I felt sick to my stomach.You see i'm very determined but is it supposed to hurt like this?

An_245257 responded:
I'm not an expert, but I do love running. I commend your determination - keep up the good work! Try slowing down on your pace/speed. Also, try alternating between walking and running, this is also good when you are starting a running regimen.
After you get the hang of it, you will see that it only gets better, and you will be able to increase both spped and distance - but DO listen to your body.
Something that you could do to motivate yourself to continue is sign up for a 5K (this is about 3 miles). It is a great way to have fun, support good causes, and meet other runners in your community.
Hope this helps - happy running to you!

missconfusion replied to An_245257's response:
thanx! ill try that did it ever feel like that for you when you started running?

brunosbud responded:
When waistlines increase, we often incorporate posture and balance compensations that may result in injury, particularly, neck, back, hips and knees. With proper running technique, you can not only avoid injury but gain stamina and endurance, too. Take a look at this video to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hJKf5toR3M

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Hi missconfusion,

No, it's not supposed to hurt like that. I don't know why you're having all of these symptoms. It's possible that it's just a simple matter of you running too fast and not pacing yourself. Instead of running, you would need to jog. It sounds like you built up to it gradually by walking first, but maybe you are just running too hard. It is reasonable to expect a healthy, 13 year-old to be able to run for a mile and not get sick. Sometimes dairy products, fiber, sweetened beverages or ergogenic beverages like Gatorade, and medicines such as aspirin consumed before running can cause upset stomach and diarrhea. But I don't know in your case what's going on, and so I suggest you speak with your doctor. It would be nice if running was enjoyable for you, and so check with your doctor.

Keep us posted, and let me know what your doctor says.

Take care,
Rich

missconfusion replied to brunosbud's response:
thank you

missconfusion replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
thank you i'll try that.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to missconfusion's response:
You're welcome. Let me know how it goes. Rich

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 13 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.