Skip to content
Holiday Weekend Fitness
Rich Weil, MEd, CDE posted:
Hello Fitness Community Members!

How will fitness fit into your holiday weekend? Are you going for a long bike ride, more time in the gym, a hike, a road race, swimming? What fitness activities are you planning with the extra time you have?

I'll be spending more time hiking than usual, and a long bike ride sounds good too.

Have a great holiday.
Rich

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Rich!

I'm taking a family yoga class with my 3 and 7 year old daughters. They recently started taking a kid class and we're all addicted.

I'm wearing a pedometer and participating in a 10,000 steps a day challenge - I'll be doing everything I can to get in some steps. Hoping it is beach weather here in Southern California.

Have a great weekend - where do you hike?

Haylen

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Haylen,

The lower Hudson Valley. It's my favorite place to hike. http://www.nynjtc.org/product/50-hikes-lower-hudson-valley There are so many parks and forests to explore, and all of it beautiful. Further north into the Catskills gets more rugged, and then north of that are the Adirondacks, 7 times larger than Yosemite and mostly uninhabited as the Nature Conservancy is one of the key organizations that keeps it that way. Hiking and camping throughout the region is terrific. Many, many years of great memories.

Have a great holiday! Rich

Tomato05 responded:
Hiking and biking sound good; it brings one closer to nature. I hope you enjoyed it thoroughly.

However, no such pleasures for me this weekend. My exercise will consist of the usual: housecleaning (which I regard as exercise) and a run on Saturday, a walk and some strength training on Sunday.

Plus, I am moving in just more than 3 weeks, so I'm starting to sort out household stuff and get rid of junk, which should add some activity!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Tomato05's response:
There was a nice study done in 2002 that showed that women who did more activities of daily living, in addition to regular exercise, kept their weight off after weight loss compared with women who were not as fit, strong, or who did less activity of daily living. Although housework was not one of the activites measured, stair climbing, walking, and carrying a small load were (in other studies gardening is one of the main activities). Here's the citation http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11864855

Bottom line is that all activity counts, so housework is important. But the most important question is, do you do windows??? (:->) Have a good weekend.

JoyceNDeWitt responded:
I'm taking my 4 month old grandson on long walks daily. I do zumba during the week, but reserve weekends for walking. Later in the summer, I'll be swimming with my ten year old grandson on weekends.

Tomato05 replied to JoyceNDeWitt's response:
Hi Joyce - it sounds as if your grandsons are keeping you active and fit,which is good for all of you.

Rich, I do most of the windows inside every week, but outside only every second week, some (more obscure ones) only every third week even. Too time-consuming! Good shoulder and back exercise though, I admit, but I prefer the gym for those!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Tomato05's response:
An idea if you want to ramp up your housecleaning workout. Wear wrist weights while you do the windows!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Oh, good idea! I never thought about adding a work out element to dreaded housework.

Wait.....we're supposed to wash windows?!?!?

Haylen

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
(:->) And mine could use a good cleaning. If you're available I'm sure I could make it part of a training session!

An_253612 responded:
Hello!
for me the fitness holiday is a ideal way to enjoy and lose weight,
everyone can use this easy way !
Thanks

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

losing weight
I am losing weight by counting calories. I am half way to my goal of losing 34 pounds. I find loseit.com helpful (or the app). More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.