Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Resistance training after hernia operation
jkbond posted:
Two weeks ago I had a surgical repair of an inguinal hernia on my lower right side. I'm looking for exercises that will not interfere with the healing that is going on and will help me avoid any future problems on the other side. I've seen recommendations of a general nature that I should strengthen the muscles in the core, but nothing specific. Are there any specific recommendations about what to do to get back to normal as quickly as possible? Before all this happened I used to work out 2-3 times a week including some situps and some bicycling for the obliques. I suppose that some muscles down there have been slashed and will need time to regrow but I don't know specifically which ones.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
You should give your surgeon a call before you start any exercises, even exercises that don't directly include your abdominal muscles like lifting. The surgeon is the one who should advise you at this stage.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

LOST WEIGHT IN 3 WEEKKS
I took the time to loose wight and actually lost 20lbs in 3 weeks i feel amazing. trying working out with someone you feel comfortable with ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.