Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
workout videos
princessh88 posted:
i'm wondering if these videos are as effective as people say they are. i recently started a walk away the pounds video. walking 5miles(according to the video) 5x a week

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Videos can be motivating and fun, and of course, you have to use them for them regularly for them to be effective. As for weight loss, the thing about it is that to lose you must burn fewer calories than you consume no matter how much exercise you do. Even if you run a marathon every day you will not lose weight if you consume more calories than you burn. So if you're not losing even though you're using the video, then you are consuming more calories than you burn, even if you think you're not. In fact, research shows that people can under estimate their calorie intake by as much as 40% to 50%.

If you have questions about losing weight or exercise, feel free to post back.

Take care, Rich

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Ab ExercisesExpert
As mentioned in the Losing Belly Fat post, you cannot spot reduce, but you can tighten muscles under excess fat. As a result you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 56 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.