Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Body Swelling
LaurieL65 posted:
Why does my body swell (hands, face, stomach, etc.) after I exercise. I will gain 5-6 lbs of water weight when I try to do Zumba or any kind of cardio workouts. I will stay swollen as long as I continue to try to work out. Once I feel so poorly about being so puffy I give up and quit.....THEN I 'go back to normal' and all my swelling and weight that I gained goes away. I am 47 years old and this started a couple of years ago. Thoughts? Thanks!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Hands will swell because of the swinging motion of your arms which tends to cause fluid to accumulate in the extremities. When you stop, the fluid is not working against the force of the arm swing and will circulate out of the hands. I can't say why you are swelling in the stomach or the face. I suppose there could be some fluid retention, but I don't know what that would happen.

Take care,
Rich

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.