Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fitness on the Fourth
Rich Weil, MEd, CDE posted:
Hi Everyone,

What will you do fitness related this Wednesday? Your normal workout, a softball game, something different? For those of you working on losing weight and concerned about all the food at a barbecue, exercise first thing in the morning is a good way to keep you grounded and in control of your calorie intake all day. You can keep the calories in check and still enjoy yourself!

What are your fitness plans for the 4th?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Rich!

I called my yoga studio yesterday and they are having a few early morning classes - I think I'm going to try a cardio flow for the first time.

We'll be at a picnic held on a lake. We go out on the boat and I'll probably jump in with my daughters.

My husband jumps off "Chicken Rock" every year - a cliff that hangs out over the water. If you watch the old Tarzan TV shows with Johnny Weismiller , you can see him on top of it in the opening credits! This might be last time for the jump - it's starting to hurt!

Have a great 4th!

Haylen

youngskied responded:
Whats going on Rich? I usually work out Monday through Friday after work for an hour, but since I have the day off I will be working out in the morning and possibly getting out to play some basketball. I usually run about two miles prior to my workout in order to achieve my cardio goal but being that it becomes mundane I like to switch it up from time to time. I may also do a little swimming, getting the best of both worlds for a hot day. What about you?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to youngskied's response:
Hi Guys,

I'll do an early run, then I'm going hiking. I searched for Chicken Rock. The only one I found was in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. If that's it it looks pretty cool! Have a good 4th! Rich

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
I think Chicken Rock is what my husband and his friends called it - because they would "bawk bawk" at any friends who climbed up and chickened out!

Here's a pic of my 7 year old going off a smaller rock that she dubbed "chick rock". Yes, my heart stopped!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Ouch! Looks like a belly flop coming up. I can see why your heart stopped! But the site looks beautiful. (:->)

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 58 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.