Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Clean Bulk diet
Anon_121470 posted:
Hi all,
I will be starting a bulk soon, I am finishing a cut and will be reaching 13% Bodyfat soon.
Now I want to make my bulk as clean as possible, not a lot of fat gain, so I was thinking of going 200-440 calories over maintenance level on lift days, and on rest day go 200 - 400 calories under, while maintaining protein at all day @ 0.8 grams Per lbs.
My questions is :
I really don't like red meats, I have been happy and feeling very good with chicken breast and egg whites. Now while cutting I was able to ingest about 165 grams of protein daily with a 1500 calorie diet, no supplements just eating foods. If I am to up my caloric intake to my daily maintenance ( about 2500 ) while maintaining same protein intake, I really don't know how. The only good a source of protein with higher caloric value is red meats, which I don't like and has higher fats.
What do you guys recommend? any ideas?
disclaimer : I am not a muscle head, nor am I in a rush to show off six packs or any sort, I can stay on a clean bulk for a year easily, so please no assumptions about me being a fratboy and having typical jersey shore goals

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Hi Anon.

Your protein intake is adequate as long as it is complete.
You can post your diet-related questions to the Diet Community to find out if it is
http://exchanges.webmd.com/diet-exchange

Check the exercise calorie counter to determine your needs so that you don't consume more than you are burning. If by changing your workouts your calorie expenditure will be different, then you'll need to accomodate for that.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-fitness-calorie-counter

The only thing I'm confused about is what activity level you're basing your maintenance calorie intake on. In any event, the only real way to know how many calories to consume is by weighing yourself and taking body fat measurements (and don't forget the error in body fat depending on how you measure it). You should be measuring circumferences as well. The standard circumference measurements are arms (flexed and relaxed), chest (after a normal exhale), shoulders (the widest part), waist (the narrowest part below the ribs and above the belly button), abdomen (across the belly button), buttocks (at the maximum extension of the buttocks), gluteal/thigh (high on the thigh at the groove where the buttocks end), mid-thigh (halfway between the crease in the groin and the top of the knee cap), and calf (at the maximum circumference, either with leg hanging freely off a table or with legs 8 inches apart and weight distributed evenly). Keep the tape horizontal during measurements and pull the tape lightly so it indents the skin only slightly.

Good luck with your training. Rich

Tomato05 responded:
Nuts, Greek yogurt, other dairy like cheese and milk, legumes, fatty fish like salmon, whole eggs (including yolk), tofu.

Nuts, cheese and other dairy (if you do not choose the non-fat versions) in particular are quite high in calories and can add rather a lot of protein. Even beans - red kidney beans for example gives you 109 cal for 1/2 cup with nearly 7g protein.

BobDozor responded:
Romaine lettuce has more protein per CALORIE than steak!

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.