Includes Expert Content
Pre- Diabetes exercise
smileyjoe55 posted:
I recently was told by my Doctor that my blood tests showed I was .1 above normal for guclose levels and it was considered to be pre-diabetic. I began exercising by walking briskly 1 hour each morning aand have cut all sodas out of my diet, as well as adding more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains to my daily calorie intake. Is this enough to ward off full blown diabetes in the future?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Hi smileyjoe55.

The good news is that your muscle cells are very sensitive to exercise and will help your body get less resistant to insulin so that the muscles can burn more glucose (blood sugar). There are many cellular changes that occur when you exercise, and almost all of them will help contribute to you managing or preventing diabetes. You need a mix of cardio and resistance exercise. 4-5 days a week of cardio where you get your heart thumping, and 2-3 days of resistance exercise where you work all the major muscle groups.

Here are the details that you need.

http://www.acsm.org/about-acsm/media-room/acsm-in-the-news/2011/08/01/exercise-can-help-tame-type-2-diabetes-say-new-guidelines

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2010/12000/Exercise_and_Type_2_Diabetes__American_College_of.18.aspx/?&utm_source=www&utm_medium=pressrelease&utm_campaign=SMED
Feel free to post back if you have questions.

Take care,
Rich

brunosbud responded:
If you can "ingrain" a lifestyle from what you've described, you will most likely never encounter complications from diabetes...

Correction.

Not just diabetes but heart disease, hypertension, cancer, arthritis, Alzheimer's, psoriasis, gum disease, kidney disease, COPD, sleep apnea, depression, fatty liver disease, etc...

I reversed my prediabetes by doing precisely what you are doing, smiley. In fact, I, presently, walk twice per day (about 40 minutes/ea) because my blood sugar control is more stable and consistent because exercise can continue clearing excess blood glucose up to 12 hrs after.

51/2 years ago, my A1C was measured @ 6.2. Today, 5.3. That's diabetes reversal, baby...

Now, that I know my body can heal, itself, walking has become my "doctor".

BobDozor responded:
It might be! The bottom line is that diabetes (or pre-diabetes) is about insulin resistance/sensitivity, which in turn is about the ratio of body fat to muscle mass. You can take the stress of the system by eating low glycemic-index foods - like you are doing. Moving your body (muscles) increases insulin sensitivity, too.

If you lose fat, and gain muscle you will be backing away from the abyss, and very likely will "ward of full blown diabetes!"