Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Resting metabolic rate
1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on posted:
I found the metabolic calculator on webmd and I learned that at my height(5'8'') weight (165) age(30) and activity level, i burn almost 2400 cals a day, just living. I also work out 4 days a week, stregth training and cardio on 2 of the days. I know that weight loss is about cals in vs. cals burned. I am pretty decent at watching what i eat, i probably consume between 2000 and 2500 cals a day, if that sometimes. A few months ago i started to see the beginnings of a six pack which helped motivate me to work harder. But over the past few months, the view hasnt changed much. Any advice as to what i can do to shed that last 5 to 7lbs??? Because given the calculations and working out id say i may burn 2800-3000 cals a day.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
The problem is that calorie burning and consuming is an inexact science. That is, counting calorie intake accurately is difficult, and there will always be error. The error can be as high as 40%. So the fact that you're not losing weight means you are consuming more than you burn, or consuming about the same that you burn. The scale is the final word on whether you consuming more than you burn, or vice versa. I suggest that you take a closer look at how many calories you consume, provided the calories burned is correct (which is also difficult to count accurately). But reducing calorie intake may be easier than exercising more, so start there. So for the next week write down every single morsel of food you eat, and every ounce of beverage with calories you drink. Estimate the portion sizes as accurately as possible, and weigh and measure everything. Get a food scale and measuring cup to do it accurately. Then go to the following site to figure out how many calories you are consuming
http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-food-calorie-counter and then here www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-fitness-calorie-counter to figure out how many calories you burn with exercise. And then finally add your metabolic rate to the calories burned and compare to the calorie intake. If the calories burned is greater than your calorie intake then you know your estimates are wrong, because if you burn more than you consume you would be losing weight.

Feel free to post back if you have questions.

Take care, Rich

1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thanks Rich, will do

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to 1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on's response:
You're welcome. Let me know how things turn out. I'm curious to know how things turn out. Take care, Rich

1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Rich,

Sorry i havent gotten back to you, i had a vacation coming up and knew that any diet regimen i was going to start was going to go down the tubes i am also having a minor surgery, that will prevent me from working out for about 10 days. I plan on starting a food/exercise diary once i can get back on the proverbial horse.

IC

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to 1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on's response:
Okay, got it. Let me know what happens once you're back at it. Good luck with your surgery. Rich

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 20 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.