Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Waterslides: Not for grown-ups - Advice please Rich!
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
We got a big blow-up bouncy waterslide for my 4 year old's birthday this weekend. Trying to be the cool mom, I went down and twisted my knee. The pain is mild but there is a twinge - I've been wearing a knee brace and hoping the pain will go away but it's not.

I saw a PT for my shoulder a few years ago. Should I call him or do I need to go to another type of doctor first?

In your experience, are knees easily "rehab-able"? Till I get into see the doc, should I just rest it or are there exercises I could do to start the healing process?

I'm so mad at myself. I really hope I didn't cause a problem that will plague me for years. As a working mom with 2 kids, my weekly yoga classes and daily walks are the key to my sanity.

Thanks Rich!

Haylen

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Hi Haylen,

I'm sorry to hear it. Knee twists typically mean you sprained it. A sprain means the ligaments that hold the bones together were stretched. If it is a sprain than you need to ice it a lot. That means 10-15 minutes several times a day. You can use bags of frozen peas or corn if you don't have an ice pack. They form nicely around the knee. And avoid activities right now that hurt it. So no jogging, etc. Obviosuly you have to walk around, but just try and minimze heavy-duty stuff and carrying heavy loads too. Anti-inflammatories can be helpful too, and analgesics like tylenol. The brace should compress your knee to keep inflammation down. It won't prevent twisting unless it's designed specifically for that, so you still have to be careful, but it should provide some relief. Sometimes a doctor will suggest crutches to take the stress off it.

As for PT, the best he could do if it's a sprain is electric stim for some pain relief, but rest and time is the thing that works best. If your pain gets worse or stays exactly the same, or there is swelling and/or bruising, or the pain just gets worse, then you should see your doctor.

But sprains get better. It can take 6-10 weeks depending on how severe it is, and if it's very minor it could take less, but they do get better.

I hope it heals quickly. Rich

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thanks Rich!

I keep frozen peas in the freezer for the kids bumps and bruises so mamma will use them now.

It's funny how we take pain-free body parts for granted. Who knew I used my knees so much?

Haylen

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
You're welcome. Keep us posted!

An_246827 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
I'm Looking for a workout buddy. I live in pittsburgh,pa,my e-mail address ie JPH260@verizon.net

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.