Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

Includes Expert Content
Waterslides: Not for grown-ups - Advice please Rich!
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
We got a big blow-up bouncy waterslide for my 4 year old's birthday this weekend. Trying to be the cool mom, I went down and twisted my knee. The pain is mild but there is a twinge - I've been wearing a knee brace and hoping the pain will go away but it's not.

I saw a PT for my shoulder a few years ago. Should I call him or do I need to go to another type of doctor first?

In your experience, are knees easily "rehab-able"? Till I get into see the doc, should I just rest it or are there exercises I could do to start the healing process?

I'm so mad at myself. I really hope I didn't cause a problem that will plague me for years. As a working mom with 2 kids, my weekly yoga classes and daily walks are the key to my sanity.

Thanks Rich!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Hi Haylen,

I'm sorry to hear it. Knee twists typically mean you sprained it. A sprain means the ligaments that hold the bones together were stretched. If it is a sprain than you need to ice it a lot. That means 10-15 minutes several times a day. You can use bags of frozen peas or corn if you don't have an ice pack. They form nicely around the knee. And avoid activities right now that hurt it. So no jogging, etc. Obviosuly you have to walk around, but just try and minimze heavy-duty stuff and carrying heavy loads too. Anti-inflammatories can be helpful too, and analgesics like tylenol. The brace should compress your knee to keep inflammation down. It won't prevent twisting unless it's designed specifically for that, so you still have to be careful, but it should provide some relief. Sometimes a doctor will suggest crutches to take the stress off it.

As for PT, the best he could do if it's a sprain is electric stim for some pain relief, but rest and time is the thing that works best. If your pain gets worse or stays exactly the same, or there is swelling and/or bruising, or the pain just gets worse, then you should see your doctor.

But sprains get better. It can take 6-10 weeks depending on how severe it is, and if it's very minor it could take less, but they do get better.

I hope it heals quickly. Rich
Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thanks Rich!

I keep frozen peas in the freezer for the kids bumps and bruises so mamma will use them now.

It's funny how we take pain-free body parts for granted. Who knew I used my knees so much?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
You're welcome. Keep us posted!
An_246827 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
I'm Looking for a workout buddy. I live in pittsburgh,pa,my e-mail address ie

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 33 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.