Skip to content
2012 Olympics!
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Anyone else into the games? My family and I are addicted!

Here are some great WebMD features - the video is really interesting - it's fascinating to hear how the athletes prepare for a big event.

Video: Go for the Gold - Fitness Tips for the Everyday Olympian

Infographic: Care & Feeding of Olympic Athletes

FIT Kids: Secrets of Olympic Athletes

Quiz: Test What You Know About the 2012 Olympics

What are your favorite events to watch? Do you have a fave athlete?

Haylen

brunosbud responded:
A brief observation...

I have only a smattering of interest in the games primarily because I know so little about the athletes competing in them, American or otherwise. I thought about why this is so and I've have an idea. When I was growing up, every Saturday, ABC produced an award-winning show, "Wide World of Sports". What I didn't realize until now was just how important that show was for the Olympic Games and, specifically, the US Olympic Team. A long time ago, track and field athletes and amateur boxers were superstars. Divers and swimmers were celebrities. Gymnasts and figure skaters were household names. Hell, even Danny Seemiller (ping pong) signed autographs, lol. All, thanks to Wide World of Sports!

In order for US athletes to compete at the highest levels, they need more money. The best way promote our athletes?

Bring back Wide World of Sports!

Just one slight problem...Where do you find a "Jim McKay", "Jack Whittaker", "Howard Cossell" or a "Keith Jackson"?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to brunosbud's response:
Good observations Bruno!

Remember the opening of Wide World? I think it was a snow skier completely wiping out!

We are giving China a run for the money when it comes to medals this year. China is 1/4 of the planet's population - a huge pool of people. And they have state sponsored Olympic villages that whisk away kids and train them from a very early age.

But a little PR between the Olympic games couldn't hurt, that is for sure! And would attract more $$$.

Now, who is ready for "dressage"?

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
Was this Helpful?
45 of 59 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.