Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
I too am frustrated!
An_246952 posted:
I'm going to be 65 in the next few mos. I'd put on an extra 20 lbs the last few years and decided to take it off. I'm fortunate to belong to a gym that is very affordable and has lots of equipment & a certified trainer. Anyway I started logging onto Web MD to track my progress. I have been consuming on average 600-800 cal/day. I was going to the gym 6 days a week. The first few weeks I was doing 20 mins treadmill @ 4mph; 20mins stationary bike @ resistance of 8-12; and built up to 20 mins on stairstepper @ 15-35 resistance & 5-10 highth. I've lost 15 lbs in 6 weeks. Then I stopped losing. Additionally I've hurt my knee. (one one reasons for the exercise was to strenghth the knee) Now I'm taking a week long break. Knee hurts even when I don't exercise. In addition to the cardio, I have been doing hamstring and quad stretches regularly. Modified lunges, knee bends using the large ball against the wall and standing from a chair. Additionally doing exercised to streghthen the back and abdominal muscles. Lastly, 6 arm exercises with 5 lb weights..it is all I can lift. I was told to do my cardio everyday and rotate the other exercises 1 - 2 week. I am at the gym about 2 hours 6 days a week. I'm burning out and feel that I should have more dramatic weight loss. The knee injury which I'm sure isn't serious has set me back and bummed me out. I also have to be careful of my back because I had 3 disc in lower back removed a few years ago and I follow my surgeons directions to keep in strong & flexible. Am I expecting too much? I feel like I should cut back to cardio for an hour 3 days and the other stuff 3 days. After I achieve my goals can I the cut back to the gym 3-4 days total? I hope to gradually add cals back into my diet after achieving my goal so I don't continue on my YoYo pattern.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Without knowing your height and weight it's difficult to comment specifically.

1. 600-800 calories a day is very, very low, and especially with so with so much exercise. Your body may have stalled wt loss because the calorie deficit between so few calories and so much exercise is so low, and particularly so if you are already at a healthy weight

2. You sound over-trained. You've injured yourself, and you say you're burning out. Those are signs of overtraining. You need a break.

3. Your pace is extremely frantic and rushed. It's not clear to me why you need to lose weight so quickly, and obviously it's not something you can sustain. Be careful when you start eating more after 600-800 cal/day because your body will soak it up.

I agree that you should cut back. I suggest consuming more calories and instead of cutting back to 60 minutes of cardio, do 30, and then do 30-40 more of resistance exercise. You can lift 3 days a week and 3-4 days of cardio. Your pace is just too intense and it's not working for you. Give yourself a break, take a deep breath, and enjoy your workouts and your fitness. The weight will come off if you stick with exercise and follow a reasonable diet, which you can find at the Diet Community:
http://exchanges.webmd.com/diet-exchange

And again, I don't know if it's even necessary for you to lose weight, but you can determine that by reading about BMI here http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

Take care, Rich

1247dor replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thank you. I guess I just wanted permission to back off SOME of the time spent at the gym. I don't like exercise. I know try and find something that I like. Well at 64 I have tried most activities and it remains a chore. I do it because its good for me. I usually get my exercise by house cleaning and home repair, but this is not enough to keep me in shape. I'm 5'4" now weigh 131 lbs. My goal is 125lbs. I'd like to maintain that by exercising for an hour 3-4 days a week and taking in a well balanced 1500 cal/day. Does this sound reasonable?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to 1247dor's response:
You're welcome. As for your weight, there's no reason to lose anymore weight. Your BMI is already 22.5, which is a healthy body weight and 15 pounds below the overweight category (which means you could even gain some weight and still be in a healthy range). And even if you could get to 125, you're probably going to have a tough time keeping it there, both physically and mentally (and you'll probably be hungry all the time, which is unpleasant to say the least). I think you're headed for real frustration, burn out, and possibly more injury, beyond where you already are if you keep going for more weight loss. I suggest you shift your focus from your weight to shaping your physique and body composition (muscle and fat). You can monitor your body fat at home by using a bioelectric impedance (BIA) scale. You can buy a BIA scale for around $45. Check www.omron.com and www.tanita.com/ for more information. Or you can have them do it at the gym (maybe they have calipers).

Good luck, and take care of yourself. If you're inclined to do so, keep me posted. I'd like to know how you decide to go forward. Rich

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Shin Splint
In my experiance If you are recieving shin splint, it is caused from running hill toe, rather that flat footed. I went from not runnning to ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.