Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
How to loose weight with disabilities?
An_246963 posted:
I am nearly 70. I have had a right hip replacement, fusion of L5 & S1 in my back, and fractured ankle and torn ligaments in left ankle with plate and screws. My doctors have told me there is risk of popping hip prosthesis out of place and if I fracture my ankle again I will require walker for rest of my life. I don't know what exercises to do that are safe with these conditions. I have been walking with the use of a cane 30 minutes a day. I am 5ft2inches and weigh 180 pounds, I really need to do something besides just watch my diet. Need some help.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
The natural thing would be to swim. No stress on the joints, and a great aerobic and muscle strengthening/toning exercise. You'd never really have to worry about getting injured. You could also do upper body resistance exercises, but you'd need to be careful with your back. You might want to see a physical therapist for an evaluation so that the therapist could prescribe safe exercises and teach you how to do them. They could even help with your lower extremities so that you could build some strength. If you see a PT you know you're doing safe exercises. No matter what the condition, there are always safe exercises. Swimming, upper body resistance exercise, and a visit to a physical therapist all should help. But of course, no matter what exercise you choose to do, you should check with your doctor first. Good luck.

MandyCake responded:
I have to thank you both for posting this. I am disabled and am about the same height and weight which is horrid. I was trying to think of something I would be able to do. So I thank you!!!

dsopko replied to MandyCake's response:
test

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to MandyCake's response:
You're welcome. Feel free to post back anytime with your exercise and fitness questions.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 13 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.