Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Heart rate
An_247055 posted:
I'm 20, 5'10, 135 lbs, normal resting bpm is 65. I want to start a workout regimen, but after only 2 minutes of jumping jacks, i went to 210. Retaking after every minute for 4 minutes, i went to 180, 140, 100, then 80. Are these unhealthy numbers to start a rather extreme regimen on?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Yes, 210 is high to train at, and I'm guessing you would not be able to sustain it. Sometimes at the beginning of vigorous exercise, the control of heart rate diminishes and the rate goes up very fast.You ought to do more of a warm-up first; do the jumping jacks slower, with less intensity. Your heart rates should be reversed: 80, 100, 140... 180 is your age-predicted max. That will also be tough to sustain, and so decrease the intensity so that it's more in the 165 range. You ought to be able to do that. Also check your form. Your jump should be just a few inches, just enough to let the rope pass underneath. Your arms should remain close to your sides, spinning the rope mostly with your wrists. Grasp the handles gently so there is very little tension; almost as if you are holding a pencil. Good luck. Rich

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.