Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


Posting to the communities has been restored. Our technical team is still completing ongoing maintenance, and you may experience some technical problems.Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Includes Expert Content
I'm over weight have COPD
casino769 posted:
I'm a 58 yr old female 5' 130 lbs Had a rt. lung removed 14 yrs ago Had a heart attack 3yrs ago had 2 stents put in I quit smoking 18 months ago gained 25 lbs..joined a gym last week... will I be able to lose the wt.only walk at 2.5 mpr or do I need to go faster.. I do use the ab machine and a few other machines..
Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Your BMI is 25.4 and so there's no need to lose more weight. In fact, I don't recommend it because you might lose muscle. A "normal weight" is a BMI of 25, so technically you are just .4 away from that, a trivial amount (less than 1 pound). You can read about BMI here

I suggest instead of weight loss that you focus on shaping your physique, reducing body fat, and increasing muscle. That means 25-30 minutes of cardio and resistance exercise 3-4 times a week. You said you use a few other machines, but they may not sufficient. Why don't you have a trainer at your gym set you up with a program. You need exercises for all muscle groups, and the trainer can show you how to safely do that. You should lift 2-3 days a week, 8-12 exercises, 2-3 sets. It should take app 30 minutes. As for the speed on the treadmill, it varies for each person. You should ask your doctor how high he or she wants your heart rate to go. You might have had a stress test in the last year or so. The doctor can prescribe a heart rate based on that. If you take a beta blocker, then your heart rate won't go up too much, so you should use perceived exertion. The work should feel "somewhat hard". You can read more about that here
As for measuring body composition, you can monitor your body fat by using a bioelectric impedance (BIA) scale. You can buy a BIA scale for around $45. Check and for more information.

Feel free to post back If you have more questions.

Take care, Rich

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.