Includes Expert Content
Pec Fly Machine
Tomato05 posted:
I'm not too "well versed" in the use of some exercise machines, but I can figure out most of them.

I'm just wondering about the Pec Fly machine: changing the setting so that the grip is wider (arms further back) makes it more challenging, as does adding weight of course. So, if one has mastered a certain setting, what should your next step be:
- add more weight, or
- change the setting to a wider grip?

I would appreciate your advice about how to prioritise this.

Also, how wide should one go, anyway - is it OK for your arms to go back further than parallel with your shoulders, or not?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Don't let your arms go back further than your shoulders (I suggest short of parallel by a few degrees). It's too much strain in the joint if you go back that far. Plus, there's probably very little, if anything, you do in your life that requires your arms to go back that far under tension. Wider grip means it will be harder to do (you change the biomechanics when it's wider), but not necessary. I suggest adding more weight instead and not letting your arms go so far back. But don't make it so much weight that you can only move it a very short range of motion (so that your elbows don't go back at all). I also suggest you do flyes with dumbbells and see if you prefer one over the other.

Tomato05 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thank you for that. I think I'll select a weight where my arms approach being parallel to my shoulders, like you suggest. That makes it much clearer for me!

I do flyes lying down on a bench (on my back) with dumbbells, and actually prefer that, but I thought it is good to add the machine for variety.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Tomato05's response:
You're welcome. Keep me posted.