Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Insulin and fat burning
Patrick4672 posted:
Why is it when I'm insulin I can't burn fat and gain weight?

Patrick4672 responded:
should say on insulin

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Insulin decreases the ability of fat cells to release fat. Fat cells are like balloons that fill with air, except that fat cells fill with fat. If there's lots of insulin then it stops the fat cells from releasing some of the fat.

Patrick4672 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Ok doc see if u can tell me what I should do. I went to my doctor in Jan 2011. I was takin 48 units of lantis per night and 10 units of novalog before eating. Before I went to this doctor I weighed 371 lbs. So, I got tired of being fat so I got a personal trainer. He put on a diet to build muscle and burn fat and very rigourous training plan. I did this for a year and a half (I'm talkin hour of cardio in morning and resistance training and more cardio in the evening) and only lost 35lbs. So I went this doctor at the request of the trainer. The doctor took me off insulin totally and put me on metformin and victoza. He also balanced my testosterone level with t shots every six days. And holy cow I lost 106 lbs from Jan 2011 until March 2012 but could not get blood sugar under control. A1c 10.1 average fasting bs 248. So I went to mayo clinic for check up. Long story short they put me on levemier (insulin) A1c down to 8.1 good right. No wrong gained 20lbs back and clothes won't fit. Help me please to be able to burn fat and build muscle and keep blood sugar down.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Patrick4672's response:
A drop in your A1C from 10.1 to 8.1 is excellent, and reflects good work on your part, but it still it indicates that your glucose control isn't optimal yet, so you may still have disturbance in insulin regulation, fat storage, and fat oxidation. It doesn't mean you can't lose weight, but you will need to continue to work on getting your diabetes under better control, and it's a must that you watch your calorie intake and energy expenditure so that you burn more calories than you consume. Since you sound serious I suggest you do the following:

1. Continue with exercise. It burns calories, it will keep you fit and strong, and it's the best predictor of keeping your weight off.

2. For the next week write down every single morsel of food you eat, and every ounce of beverage with calories you drink. Estimate the portion sizes as accurately as possible, and weigh and measure everything. Get a food scale and measuring cup to do it accurately.

3. Then go to the following site to figure out how many calories you are consuming
http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-food-calorie-counter

4. Then to this site to estimate how many calories you burn all day (called the 24-hour energy expenditure (24-hrEE) www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-fitness-calorie-counter

5. Then here http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-metabolism-calculator to estimate your metabolic rate. Use the "Inactive" activity level for an additional cushion for underestimation of calorie intake.

Once you know your 24-hrEE, and how many calories you consume, you can modify your intake accordingly, and/or increase exercise, so that you burn more than you consume. For instance, if you consume 2000 calories in a day and burn 1500, then you know you have to either cut back on your calories and/or increase your exercise to turn it around.

If all of this is too confusing, then just do #2 and write down everything you eat. If you do just that you'll lose weight. Feel free to post back if you have questions.

You can post your diet-related questions to the Diet Community:
http://exchanges.webmd.com/diet-exchange

Finally, weight loss can be difficult on your own. WebMD has excellent resources to help people lose weight. You can get all the support and expert guidance on your diet that you need by checking out the Diet Community and the Weight Loss Clubs. The support and guidance will be extremely helpful to you.

And you can select one of the Diet Clubs based on how much weight you want to lose.
http://exchanges.webmd.com/dieting-club-10-25-lbs-exchange
http://exchanges.webmd.com/dieting-club-25-50-lbs-exchange
http://exchanges.webmd.com/dieting-club-50-100-lbs-exchange
http://exchanges.webmd.com/dieting-club-100-lbs-exchange

You'll find everything you need to lose weight on these sites.

Take care, Rich

Patrick4672 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Rich thanks for the information, but I already do all this, I even know how many grams of protein,carbs, and fat I should ingest per meal and when to ingest carbs for optimal fat burning. I guess this is all the fat I can burn. But I want stop trying....

brunosbud replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Rich,

I'm no longer diabetic because I've followed a protocol quite similar to what you've described, above...

It works

Exercise, improving fitness, controlling diet and the temporary use of meds to control blood sugar while health, incrementally, improves until blood glucose can be controlled without meds. Regaining insulin sensitivity requires a reasonably functioning liver...immune system...digestive tract...cardiovascular and heart function...pulmonary system...

Without these organ systems working in at close to full function, its is very difficult to lose weight and control blood sugar.

Depending on the degree of damage done, it's not possible to predict how long it will take for a body to "recover" from metabolic syndrome. This is very hard to understand and it requires great patience and perseverance.

Thank you, Rich, for your excellent recommendations!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Patrick4672's response:
Well, the thing is, you always burn fat and carbohydrate simultaneously, so it's not that you have to tell your body to specifically burn fat. It does that automatically no matter what or how much exercise you do. If you're not losing, then it's true you may not be reducing your body fat enough, but that means you're probably not creating enough of a calorie deficit (burning more calories than you consume), and so you'll have to go back to the basics and look closely at the accuracy of your calorie counting. I know it can be frustrating when you think you are doing everything right and it doesn't show up on the scale, but it can be really hard to estimate calorie intake accurately. The other thing, as I mentioned, is that working on getting your A1C down even more by controlling your blood sugars will be very helpful for you. That way there won't be as many swings in your sugars. Feel free to post back if you have more questions. Take care, Rich

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to brunosbud's response:
You're welcome brunosbud. And congrats on getting your diabetes under control! That's awesome. Good for you

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

8 habits of successful dieters
8 habits of successful dieters More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.