Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Inclement Weather
Rich Weil, MEd, CDE posted:
I don't recommend exercising through hurricanes! But how do you feel about exercising in the summer rain? I love to run in the rain. It feels great. What about you?

Tomato05 responded:
Not a good idea for me, as I wear glasses and would need small windscreen wipers or I couldn't see where I was going!

I could probably wear contact lenses, but if the rain comes from the front and gets in my eyes, I wonder if the lenses couldn't rinse out.

I'll just have to stick to the treadmill, I'm afraid.

I have swum in the rain though, but as I was wet anyway, it didn't make much difference.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Tomato05's response:
You're not alone! http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/reader-to-reader-running-with-glasses/2479.html

jis4judy responded:
Hi Rich
I am not a runner but i do love walking in the rain
the only thing that stops me from a walk is if we get icey conditions so even some snow is fun to walk in
Hugs Judy:)

BelfastCommunityAcupuncEmma responded:
Billy Connolly famously said "there's no such thing as bad weather, only wrong clothes"...

We love open water swimming and surfing in the rain. Pure escapism. If I could run better I'd be with you on this too!

Tomato05 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Some good ideas in the article that spectacle users could try, e.g. the anti-fogging products that bikers do, a visor, etc.

I couldn't run without my glasses though - my eyesight is really weak.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to jis4judy's response:
Yep, understood. Like singing in the rain!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to BelfastCommunityAcupuncEmma's response:
I like that quote. I am a big fan of polypropylene. It wicks away mosture, dries quickly, keeps you cool in summer, and warm in winter.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Tomato05's response:
I wonder if anyone has tried those products?

brunosbud replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
I discovered several years ago, that I could wear my North Face HyVent jacket in 100 degree temps...You still sweat but the jacket is so breathable it feels oddly cool underneath, plus, most important: no more sun screen.

During the summers, I keep my dogs out of the parks and wooded areas (fleas and ticks) and we walk at the beach or around a huge outdoor mall, instead. I know I look like an idiot but I'm well protected & my pups can spot me in a second no matter how big a crowd.

HyVent and Goretex are great materials in you're outdoors, a lot.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to brunosbud's response:
Bruno - you had me at "no more sun screen"!

Thanks for the great info! Sounds like you have some lucky woofers

Haylen

jis4judy replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Lol Rich my dh and I accually sing "just walking in the rain" when it is rainy LOl you have me pegged good
Hugs Judy:)

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to jis4judy's response:
(:->)

butterflygarden responded:
I love walking in the rain as long as it isn't pouring down. And, my dog LOVES it!

Rich, are there better surfaces to stick to when the ground is wet? I do worry about slipping. Maybe better shoes?

Butterfly

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to butterflygarden's response:
A cinder track would be good in the rain if that's available to you. The road is a bad surface because oil from cars that mixes with the water makes it slick. Better to go on the sidewalk. As for shoes, check a local sporting goods or outdoor store (or online stores like REI, Campmor, EMS). There are rock scrambling shoes that are made for activities like climbing and hiking when it's wet. They may provide what you are looking for.

Enjoy your walking!

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Ab ExercisesExpert
As mentioned in the Losing Belly Fat post, you cannot spot reduce, but you can tighten muscles under excess fat. As a result you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 56 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.