Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
How much is to much sweat during exercise?
Racheleeo posted:
For the last month I have been working out 4 times a week for 50mins to an hour. In the beginning I thought I was sweating a lot because I was out of shape, but now it seems that I'm sweating even more. I just want to know if there is too much sweating?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
There's not really such a thing as too much sweating unless it leads to dehydration. Sweating is the way the body cools off and so it's a healthy thing to do. And some people just naturally sweat more than others no matter what their fitness level.

You should produce 2.5 liters of urine a day, and your urine should be clear. If you sweat a lot then you need to replace that fluid. Figure a liter of water weighs 2.25 pounds, so if you weigh yourself nude before and after exercise you'll get an idea of how much you sweat, and then you can replace that fluid. Hope that helps. Rich

Racheleeo replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thanks, it does. It was just something I was wondering.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Racheleeo's response:
You're welcome.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 58 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.