Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Suggestions ?
An_247568 posted:
Hello, i weight 170pounds and iam trying to lose some weight and get toned. Iam shaped like a pear and i want to be more like an hourglass. Any suggestions on what i can do to get toned and not lose my bottom half. I been doing alot of cardio, i am not sure if thats good or bad. HELP !!!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Hello,

To get toned you should be doing resistance exercise 2-3 times a week, 10-15 reps, 2-3 sets per exercise, 8-12 exercise.

I will post a starter weight lifting program for you. The program is broken up by muscle group (chest, back, shoulders, arms, legs, abs) and is three days a week, but you can modify it if you like for more or less days.

Day 1: Chest (bench press with bar or dumbbell press, flyes, pushups), triceps (bench dips, kickbacks, )

Day 2: Back (bent over rows) biceps (curls, standing or seated)

Day 3: Shoulders (lateral raises, front raises), legs (squats, lunges)

Do 10-12 repetitions, 1-3 sets per exercise. That means select a weight you can lift 10-12 times to momentary fatigue with good form. When you can easily lift the weight 12 times, increase the weight.

You can experiment with different splits. For instance, you could try the following

Day 1: Chest (bench press with bar or dumbbell press, flyes, pushups), Back (bent over rows, pulldowns, deadlifts),

Day 2: biceps (curls, standing or seated), triceps (bench dips, kickbacks)

Day 3: Shoulders (lateral raises, front raises), legs (squats, lunges)

There are dozens of exercises for both your lower and upper body. I've given you just a few. You can go to the www.exrx.net for pictures and videos of exercises organized by muscle group and select any of them.

It would also be helpful to do aerobic exercise 3-5 times a week for 30-40 minutes to reduce upper body fat.

That should get you started. Feel free to post back if you have more specific questions. Rich

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
One other thing. You ought to take your circumference measurements to have objective information and not just the mirror. The standard circumference measurements are arms (flexed and relaxed), chest (after a normal exhale), shoulders (the widest part), waist (the narrowest part below the ribs and above the belly button), abdomen (across the belly button), buttocks (at the maximum extension of the buttocks), gluteal/thigh (high on the thigh at the groove where the buttocks end), mid-thigh (halfway between the crease in the groin and the top of the knee cap), and calf (at the maximum circumference, either with leg hanging freely off a table or with legs 8 inches apart and weight distributed evenly). Keep the tape horizontal during measurements and pull the tape lightly so it indents the skin only slightly.

Take care

kamishaxo replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
What about cardio ? Do you recommend any on average I do about 800-1000 calories burned just from exercising alone which doesn't include my average walking 4-5miles a day (Iam a college student who attends a large university, I like to walk to all my classes)

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to kamishaxo's response:
Yep, like I said, it would also be helpful to do aerobic exercise 3-5 times a week for 30-40 minutes to reduce upper body fat.

RobertsEmma replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Exercise is hard to get started and if you are not very good at it you will not want to do it again, if you play football with mates but they laugh how bad you are this will affect your confidence and reduce your motivation to do it again in the future.'

trx professional

renaedean replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
thank you for all the good info, i just started a week ago and i to am shaped like a pear, big top and small legs. thanks....renae

renaedean replied to RobertsEmma's response:
i'm bad at it but i keep doing it because i'm looking at the long term effects not the now, let them laugh, but keep on doing it it will pay off in the long run, advice; i laugh with them, because if you can laugh at your self it's easier to deal with, and it really works just don't give up....renae

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to renaedean's response:
You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Shin Splint
In my experiance If you are recieving shin splint, it is caused from running hill toe, rather that flat footed. I went from not runnning to ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.