Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Female cross country athlete's foot going numb during training
crosscountryathlete posted:
My daughter is a cross country athlete. She runs between 40 and 60 mmiles a week year round. Four days ago she came home and said her left foot was tingling when she ran and would stop when she stopped running--('It feels like it is going to sleep Dad but there is no pain anywhere at all") The next day the same thing. She has taken two days off of training as of now. She immediately started iceing her lower back above her tail bone on my direction. She started with 500 mg of naproxen twice a day as a anti-inflamatory and 10 minutes on a inversion machine twice a day. In the morning when the doctor opens the door we will be standing there. The Dr. we use is a lady and is really great. She earned her medical degree on a cross country scholarship. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the problem or a solution. I think it is a lower back disc issue even though there is no pain. I found a tender spot on her back between disc just above her tail bone on the same side that her foot is tingleing on.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
The doctor ill be able to determine what's going on and recommend treatment. Tingling typically means nerve involvement but the doctor will be bale to tell. Let us know what she finds.

crosscountryathlete replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
New shoes and heel cushions fixed problem for now. Docs knowledge of sport and shoes really helped.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to crosscountryathlete's response:
That's great. Good news that it was nothing more serious than that. Thanks for the update.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Stuff Can Use For Removing Your Freckles
people also have a theory about hormones causing darker around under ice circles splendyr not true also at least that where you get ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.