Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
You can do it!
Icemanbn posted:
You can do it! I was a size 50 nearly or at 400 pounds. I lost 200 by riding a bike, running and swimming and doing strength exercises. I beat cancer in the process and am now an Ironman and a triathlon coach. And I completed the IM just last year just shy of age 60. Just signed up for another next year. The advice Rich gave is right on. Log your food, measure portions until you are sure you know how much is right, figure out your base metabolism, exercise regularly at little every day with one day off for recovery a week, never give up. If I can do it, you can.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Wow - you're an inspiration! The "you can do it!" motivation is so important for those striving to be healthy.

I love that you wrote "never give up." My daughters and I were watching a reality show rerun this summer where contestants compete in physical challenges. One tiny woman kept yelling "Never give up, never surrender!" She aced many of the events that others much stronger than her couldn't complete. We now use her phrase as a motivational battle cry in our house.

Thank you so much for sharing your story!

Haylen

Icemanbn replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks. That was actually meant as a response to another post but I am new here and hit the wrong button. I will try to post here more. People need to know what one person can do another can do.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
We talk a lot in our weight loss program about "I can". It's a very positive affirmation, and a good predictor of future behavior. If you believe you can, the probability is high that you will.

"Never, never, never, never give up." Winston Churchill

brunosbud responded:
Thank you for this great post, Icemanbn! We need to hear story's like yours to remind us of the power of hope. No hole is too deep if you believe in yourself. What an turnaround! I'm so happy for you.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Icemanbn's response:
Please do stick around!

It's absolutely motivating to hear about the success of others. I look forward to getting to know you better icemanbn!

Haylen

p.s. Can I call you "ice"?

Icemanbn replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
My friends call me Ice or Iceman. Feel free.

I agree positive thinking is more than half the battle with weight loss and fitness. The negative mind moods can destroy good intentions if they last. Affirmations like, "Never give up," "Pain is temporary, quit is forever," even simply, "What one man can do I can do," or "I can do this, I can do this," make huge differences. Repeated over and over, they overwhelm the negativity. Every gets down. It's what you do at those moments that will spell the difference between success and another set back. Don't give in. If you want change, you must change how you think and act. Not easy, but very doable. The way we act and think are choices. They are habits. We can choose different and then make the action to be different. Make logs of food to see when, what and WHY you are eating. Food is fuel. Are you really hungry or are you eating something out of habit or as a reward or as comfort? Log calories to be sure you know what you are getting. Add in your exercise 5 to 6 times a week. Don't weigh every day. Once a week is enough if you must. If you are eating 500 calories less per day than you are burning and doing it 7 days in a row, that is a pound of fat. You may gain in fact a little at first because you are adding heavier muscle. That is all good because muscle burns more calories. Over the long run you will be fitter, healthier and your metabolism will increase. Just stick with it. And ask for help. Join fitness clubs, biking clubs, running clubs, swim clubs, walking groups. People there will have been where you are and will be absolutely willing to share what they know. This is not a diet. This is a change in lifestyle. No short-term answers. Have a great day and get moving.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.