Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Rest Day
Tomato05 posted:
I generally try to exercise 6 days per week. On my day off I normally don't do anything more strenuous than housecleaning and domestic tasks like ironing, maybe a short stroll to the markets.

I sometimes wonder if I could not exercise on my day "off", just not formal exercise like my usual run, interval training or weight lifting. Something like a bush hike,swim, rowing machine, or similar. Surely the body has the capacity for that?

Or does one's body really need a day of vegetating completely?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Well, housecleaning isn't really vegetating. In a study many years ago it was shown that one of the activities that women who kept off lost weight did was housework; gardening was another. But if you feel like your body (and maybe your head) needs more exercise, then give the extra day a try and see how it feels. Monitor your body for fatigue, chronic soreness or aches and pain, loss of strength or performance, or just feeling burned out; if any of those happen then you know you need the break.

Tomato05 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Maybe I'll just stick with housework, having given it some thought. One has to keep time constraints in mind as well, I suppose, and not try to fit in too many activities in your life.

I just sometimes feel like more variety in my exercise program, which at the moment is very much gym-bound, but of course that could be done on other days, not necessarily the rest day.

Good to know though that housework has merit and showed such good results in the study you mentioned!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Tomato05's response:
Sounds like a plan. Plus, your house will be clean!

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Have you tried better toilet posture?
This makes you feel light and healthy everyday. There is a great new product on the market aimed at improving colon health by correcting ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.