Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Knee Popping Noise
An_248042 posted:
Good morning,

I'm a 37 year old female that has been running and spinning for the past 3 months. I woke up yesterday and had a popping noise on my right knee when I walked. No pain or swelling. It was gone by mid morning. Today I woke up again with the same noise. Does anyone know why this is happening? Thank you

HeidiM84 responded:
The most common causes of popping in the knee joint when walking which does not cause pain are IT band syndrome and patellofemoral pain syndrome . Have a look at the linked pages and see what you think. Both often occur with an increase in exercise but no traumatic injury, and expecially in running and cycling.

aanguiano05 replied to HeidiM84's response:
Thank you!!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Typically joint noise isn't serious if there's no pain associated with it, and in fact, it can last for months. If there's no pain then it can be a tendon popping over a prominence in the bone. Some doctors believe it could be synovial fluid (the lubricant in the joint) rapidly released from the joint and you hear the release as a popping sound. Again, typically nothing serious if there's no pain, but if there is pain, then worth speaking with your doctor about it. Keep us posted! Rich

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 63 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.