Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Exercise Headaches...Anyone had these?
1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on posted:
About a week ago i was at the gym and i was 2 exercises in, i was doing incline bench press. As i was finishing up my set i got a shooting pain in the front right portion of my head, just above my eye. I took it easy for about 5 minutes, got some water and the pain subsided, but it didnt completely go away. Since then, the headaches became sporadic, usually when i sat up/got up quickly or bending down to pick something up. I continued to work out the rest of the week and the headaches still were there, but not as severe.

I took the weekend off as usual and the headaches where pretty much gone, but like i said before they came back with certain movements. So when i went back to the gym yesterday to do chest, i was doing my ab work before i started. I was doing hanging legs raises and during the first set, the headache came back. Again i rested and continued with the rest of the set, as i went on they got less painful. I did bench press with a fairly heavy weight and no issues. I then went to do dumbell incline presses and the head aches came back again, just not as strong.

Obviously im concerned, what is troubling me is that it usually bothers me, is when im doing some type of incline movement. So my initial thought was because of my body angle there wasnt enough blood getting to my brain?

I am the type of person that very rarely gets headaches and this is the first time that this sort of thing has happened to me. Has anyone had similar issues? If so what did you do to ease them?

Thanks,

IC

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
You should speak with your doctor about it before you work out again. Headaches are complex and can have many causes. Go ahead and give your doctor a call. Take care, Rich

1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
UGH...I knew you were going to say that! I have worked out since, they have seemed to subside a bit, but i am trying to get into my Dr. asap.

Thanks

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to 1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on's response:
I'm sorry but it's the safe thing to do. I suggest you call the doctor's office and explain what's going on and they should agree to see you right away. Go ahead and do that. Let me know what happens. Rich

Olivia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi IC!

Did you get to your doctor yet?

I just wanted to pop in and say that I hope you took Rich's advice before working out again. Your doc can determine what's causing your headaches and give you the best advice on how to proceed with your exercise routine.

While you're waiting, here is some information that may be helpful:

Headache Triggers & Exercise

Exercise-Induced Headaches

Take care,
Olivia

emersonkelly responded:
Don't neglect it..sometimes headache will be severe. So it is better to avoid it in initial stages. Please contact your doctor and explain him your problem clearly!!

hornlaw responded:
Being a chronic headache sufferer (now controlled!)...here's my two cents worth: yeah, go to the doc now. Most places with major medical facilities will have at least one neurologist who specializes in headaches - but don't assume, ask for a specific referral. Saves time, in the long run. I found a fantastic guy here in Dallas. Amazing what all I learned... Good luck.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Ab ExercisesExpert
As mentioned in the Losing Belly Fat post, you cannot spot reduce, but you can tighten muscles under excess fat. As a result you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 56 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.